Chapter 85 - Cat and mouse

Mana understood her opponent's intention.

Mana suddenly approached Jessica, activated the blade on her right hand and began slicing at Jessica. Following that, Syouji went behind her to restrain her arms.

However, he was met with immense pressure stopping his movement. Then, with her high-power laser knife in her left hand to stop the attack, while opening the missile pack on her back, she fired a massive amount of missiles at Syouji and Mana.

The missiles detonated at point-blank range. The area was full of the smell of gunpowder as the place was filled with dust.

"U-Uwaaaah!"

Still unable to balance himself, Shidou was blown backwards. What he could see was a blue shadow and a large red machine in pursuit.

The two Wizards moved their battlefield to the sky as they began to fight. Exchanging cannon and blade blows. The dark sky was filled with flashes of magical light flashing like stars.

"Guh—"

At that moment, Shidou was snatched by something and at first he thought it was an enemy until he looked up and saw Syouji.

"We'll have to leave Mana to handle Jessica for now." Saying that, Syouji left him near the building of the first office.

"I'm sorry, but this is as far as I can take you."

"It's fine. I can go by myself, Syouji."

"Are you sure...?"

"Yes, don't worry."

"Okay but.... I'll catch up with you okay? Be... careful."

Upon that, Shidou nodded as he then watched Syouji reluctantly fly off to help Mana. Making up his mind, Shidou ran towards the building.

<Shidou! It's too dangerous! Wait for Syouji to help Mana!>

Kotori howled, but Shidou didn't slow down, thinking about Kurumi's words.

[—Were you planning to bring Shidou-san with you? he'll definitely either be killed or captured.]

"They will only reinforce if we wait for her! I have to go now! Besides, it's more dangerous being outside by myself, right?! No matter how good they are,  I could still end up being held hostage by Jessica or one of the other Wizards! I cannot be a burden!"

<That, that... You may be right, but! Wait... Hold on a— nute— —dou!>

Shidou passed the damaged door as Kotori's voice was drowned out by static and soon she couldn't be heard anymore.

There was nobody in the wide lobby. What replaced was spread debris, interfering with Shidou's progress.

Electrical wires were exposed from the broken ceiling, with the light hanging down. the occasional sparks were enough to cause one to feel weird.

According to Reine, there must be some facility isolating Spirits within the building. Shidou began to head upstairs.

"Ha.... ha.... ha....!"

Second, third, fourth, Shidou ran up to the fifth floor in one breath. His legs began to feel tired, his lungs hurt and it became difficult to breathe. But he had to continue on in spite of that.

—Tohka. Tohka was around here.

The girl who let herself be caught to buy them time to escape was caught by an Organization against Spirits.

At that point, Shidou didn't have the time to complain about the pain his body felt...

"...!"

At that point, he didn't know how far he had climbed. Shidou heard a strange noise, and frowned.