Chapter 35 - Syoujis Resolve

Sitting at the bench, Syouji stroked the kitten in his arms. In his head, the scene that he saw just kept replaying itself. Kurumi killed humans and in turn, Mana killed Kurumi.

Syouji let out a sigh of contemplation. What was he supposed to do? from deep inside his heart, he understood. Their relationship was similar to that of Tohka and Origami, taken to extreme heights.

If the balance were to break down, then surely Origami would be able to kill Tohka, similar to the situation of Kurumi and Mana.

"This... Is seriously messed up, huh? I can't believe this is my job. Can I quit, I wonder?" Syouji said with a pained expression and at that moment...

"Syouji! You were here?"

A familiar voice called out as Syouji's facial expression quickly reverted back to an empty state, as if to hide his pain.

Tohka was running towards Syouji while dragging Shidou along. following not far behind them, was a girl with white hair. It was Tobiichi Origami. It seems the distraction has finally ended.

"I heard from err... Kotori, dude are you okay?"

"Un. Syouji, what happened?"

"What is the meaning of this?"

Shidou, Tohka, and Origami arrived, directing voices of displeasure and concern at him.

However, being in a state of vulnerability, his <mask> began to crumble as his face slowly contorted to that of sadness and frustration.

"It's nothing...." Syouji muttered, before descending into silence.

"Syouji...."

"Umu, Is something wrong?"

"Bro, are you okay?"

Finding it strange they peeked at Syouji's expression, which seemed like he had just returned from war.

"Syouji! you got hurt... What happened?" At this moment, Shidou pulled Syouji's hand to examine it.

However, because of the impact of the events that occurred, moments before, the instant Shidou touched his hand the scene of Kurumi's body dyingflashed in his head.

"Uguh-!"

His throat let out a sound, while breathing heavily as though he had involuntarily held his breath as he batted away Shidou's hand.

"S-Syouji?"

Syouji let his head drop down as he released the cat from his lap. Then, using his trembling hand, he supported his broken wrist as he noticed Shidou's pained expression.

His brother was obviously worried about him and Tohka probably was too as she approached Syouji, taking a step forward. However, Syouji took a step back and shook his head in a disapproving manner, with tears welling up in his eyes.

"I'm sorry... I'm really... really sorry Shidou."

"Y-You don't have to react like that, I understand. Just what exactly happened?" Shidou questioned as Tohka clung to his arm while nodding with a concerned expression.

"I... I can't... I don't want you to worry..."

Throwing behind such a line, leaving a pang of guilt in his heart as Syouji stood up and ran away from there.

"S-Syouji!" Shidou cried out, attempting to reach out to Syouji. This was the type of person his brother was and he knew that. But he wished that he could open up to him every once in a while.

"Where are you goiー"

Shidou and Origami's voices could be heard from the back as turned around and saw Tohka and Shidou with a hurt expression and in contrast, Origami seemed like she had no reaction, but somehow he still felt like she was concerned.