Chapter 40 - Family drama

"Yo."

"Well, don't just stand there, why don't you take a seat? If you wish to be a scarecrow, i'll support you, you know?"

"Ah... Scarecrow huh? that wouldn't be so bad. In fact, that would be my dream to just stand around doing nothing." Saying so, Syouji sat down on a chair opposite Kotori.

At the same time, he glanced in the direction of Reine and the others, but he could not see anyone. On the other side, what seemed to be a glass wall that separates the room became a white wall that can only be seen on this side.

"..........."

"..........."

The two of them silently stared at each other while separated by the table.

There was a mountain of things he wanted to say, but when he was in front of the person in question, he did not know what to say. Or perhaps, he did not want to say it.

Kotori did not seem to be in a panic, after putting cinnamon into her milk tea and stirring it —She placed it into her mouth directly.

"....That's not right."

Kotori didn't dip a cinnamon, but had actually dipped her favorite lollipop into the red tea, using it to stir it up.

"What's that, you got something to say?"

"Of course, i've got something to say. Kotori, isn't it a bit odd? dipping a lollipop into tea I mean."

Saying so, Syouji crossed his arm and tilted his head with a bit of scorn.

"That's rich coming from someone who dips bread into hot chocolate."

"Touché."

"Yeah."

After this interaction, Syouji let out a sigh. His shoulders relaxed without him knowing as he cleared his throat to prepare himself, opening his mouth to speak.

"Kotori— What kind of person are you?"

"I'm your cute little sister of course."

"...Calling yourself cute, huh? Did you get that from me?"

"Am I not cute?"

"....Well, I can't really say that you're not cute. It'd be cruel of me. Besides, it would be a complete lie for me to say otherwise."

Syouji leaned forward, putting his elbows on the table.

"Are you a Spirit?"

Straight to the point, he asked the question that bothered him as Kotori snorted and shrugged her shoulders.

"If I were to say no, you wouldn't even believe me right?"

"Well, you know me. I'm genuine, so don't expect a cute answer. I know what I saw."

"Yeah. Trusting your own eyes, that's smart of you."

"Still, even if it's like that, you'd still be the Kotori I grew up with, right?"

Upon hearing this, Kotori placed the teacup onto the saucer, wordlessly observing Syouji. After eye contact was made for several seconds, Kotori gave a light sigh.

"....I am, human you know. At least, that's how I think of myself. —However, that's not the case. Because the monitoring system's values have already classified me as a spirit.

"What is... going on exactly? Details."

Syouji said as Kotori let out a sigh. Kotori, who should have snapped at him by now, treated it like it was expected as she continued speaking.