01

LAST WEEK

GEMMA POV.

03:37 AM

"This is it." I murmur into a hidden microphone behind my hair. All I need to do is get the ring and leave as soon as I can.

I look down at the place where I scaled up the side of the building. From there look at the equipment I was compelled to bring with me. And I'll only need two of the thirteen things. A harness and a laser.

I then draw my attention to the conservatory area I stand on and plan my move.

It wasn't just meant to be me.

Three more girls.

I discard that thought and slightly huff to myself when I realise I'll be going down quite far. I don't like heights. It's just a thing I can't get over. But this conservatory is around two times taller than a normal one.

One other thing I notice is that nothing's really in the room. A few chairs around the sides, stacked in pairs, and a pool table in the centre. This is great for me because it just means I don't have to worry about falling on anything.

The look of the millionaire chateau below my feet foreshadows my dive into the roof, as I take a deep breath before slowly releasing it into the cool night air of Paris.

With my leather gloves on, I use a pocket laser and create a box and put the piece beside the new hole, leaving no trace that it was me.

I take myself down by the harness around my waist, the only sound is the trees rustling and the rope bringing me down. As I feel my feet touch the hard, polished ground, the anxiety kicks in.

"Sunni," they say my code name into my ear. "Leave the room. You will find a staircase. At the top, there's a small box on a stand. That's where the ring will be. You have thirty minutes and two seconds left."

Staying silent, I make my way out of the room and into another with the gorgeous diamond chandelier. Keeping my eyes open for traps, my nerves quiver uneasily.

All of a sudden, all I can think about is the warm scent at home and the sweet smell of supper on the table. Even though I love what I do every day, I can't wait to go to my mum and all my friends. Everyone, including Harry. I feel my heart thump in my chest as I see the staircase.

I proceed as the entire atmosphere surrounding me goes silent and the only light source is the moon and the stars outside.

Before going up the lengthy stairs, I hyperventilate, trying to get my breath back. Feeling sweat line my forehead as the tension boils within, I look back at the stairs and notice that there are traps along the side of the skirting board. None of which I've never seen before, though.

I graze my hands against the wooden bannister and make my way up as efficiently as I can.

I see a trap that will set off lasers right in front of me, lightning speed. Stepping over where the lasers are going to beam, I continue up the stairs silently and stealthily.

While my body tingles from head to toe because of how close the gem is to me, I see lasers beaming from everywhere.

I choose not to make a sound by telling anyone. Instead, I think of a way outside this.

I could climb the bannister, then leap my way over.

I mean, I don't think there are many options.

I hop over so my feet are dangling over the edge. My heart starts pounding at the thought of me falling. It's known for someone like me to not be scared of heights but everyone has a week spot. And it's okay because I'm almost there.

Anchoring myself to the bannister with one hand, I slide the other as far along its polished surface as I dare, grip, and edge cautiously up the outside of the staircase.

In silence, I continue to move around each trap, going around it as fast as I can.

Almost there, I make my final move before hopping over the other side, so I'm met close to the ring.

The floor I'm on is bare and empty. With doors all around, the ring box, sparkles right in front of me. I can do this.

I look around to catch any traps, which there aren't. With my body bubbling with excitement, I know that I'm so close to getting out of here.

I take 5 steps towards the ring so it's in my reach. Bingo.

The ring shines and shimmers in the darkness as I feel this slight pit in my stomach. Maybe it's an excitement pit or maybe it's something else.

Slowly, my hand shaking, I raise my hand toward the ruby ring.

Wait.

This is too good to be true.

Meaning...

"It's a trap-"

"You always like to get yourself in trouble."

I turn around and see the ring owner, Landon, behind me with a shotgun, his finger not touching the trigger.

And everything goes black.