seven

Blake Day

Blake Day

I watched from the inside of Starbucks as the freshman rushed across campus to get to their next class. Those kids all had such different lives. Some would grow up to be doctors, astronauts, counselors, teachers, but I would forever be Rob Day's son.

"Blake—are you even listening to me?" My dad's voice rang through my AirPods. I had a hat and sunglasses on, looking down at my facetime screen. I snapped out of the daydream that I was living in a went back to the nightmare.

"As a twenty-two-year-old, I would expect you to be more mature than sucking the shit out of a girl's skin." He lectured. Thank god for the sunglasses or he would've seen the glare that my face wore.

"It was a dare dad," My voice stood strong. I heard him chuckle, but another voice cut in. "A dare that makes Rob Day look like a shitty parent to the republicans! You aren't dating her—hell you aren't even supposed to be touching women unless you're married to them!" His advisor lectures me.

Blah, blah, blah.

My dad was putting on a show for America.

A shit show.

I don't answer as I feel the anger growing in my body. He cleared his throat, "Blake—it's okay to have fun. But the fun times need to be put on hold until after we seal the deal with the election." I huff out a breath of air.

"But what if you don't win then dad? What if you guys don't win dad? What if you both lose? Then that means that I wasted a whole semester of college, a whole summer—being devoted to a fucking loser." I looked around to make sure people weren't listening.

But people were always listening.

I wanted more than anything to just up and move so far away. That way nobody knew who I was. That way I could live my life the way it was supposed to be lived. That way I was the only one in control of my life.

"The true American dream to the Republican party is a cookie-cutter, all American family. If I can't give them that, then we can't have it." My father's voice booms. I roll my eyes, "Mom isn't even fully American." I remind him as he chuckles.