forty-six

Blake Day

Blake Day

To say I was an ass was an understatement.

I sipped my black coffee as I watched my dad shake hands with multiple people—walking, talking, passing by. They all wanted pictures with him, they all wanted to meet him.

They all wanted to be me.

They wanted to be his son—they worshipped him.

"Blake! My boy! You killed it out there with the whole liberal thing— I think that's gonna flip a switch and help out with the bipartisan efforts!" My dad walked over, clapping his hands. My mother had gone off to a meeting.

It was at these moments when I was surrounded by all of these people that I felt the most lonely.

They all wanted something from me when I wanted nothing from them. I asked for nothing and got treated as if I was asking for everything.

"Come on—I bet she'll let ya bang her if you throw her a thousand. How about twenty—on me?" My dad joked as I gritted my teeth, setting my coffee to the side. Standing up, I hovered over top of him. Jabbing my finger into his chest, he took a step backward for every step that I took forwards.

"Don't fucking talk about my girlfriend like that," I warned him, my voice was low.

He looked around the room, and of course, people were watching, but they would never say anything. He would be the vice president soon, it would all be swept under the rug. Along with everything else he had done.

"Blake," His voice was tense as I shook my head in amazement.

"No—you're an asshole. I don't want to talk to you right now or I swear to god, the next time you'll hear from me it will be me comforting mom as she stares over your casket being raised six feet under you mother fucker." I boomed as he blinked—unfazed.

Why would he be fazed? He raised me to be like this.

And I would raise my son to be like this and he would raise his son to be like this.

The Days were known for their cruelty.

Spinning on my feet I grabbed my suit jacket from the chair I had thrown it on.