twenty-five

Sloane Beck

Sloane Beck

"Okay, she's asleep right now. There are bottles ready to go in the fridge if she wakes up hungry again. I will be back in about three to four hours. Matti will be home in two, you have our numbers if she needs anything. I'm trusting you guys," Naomi pants trying to remember the little spiel she prepared to give to us.

"Bitch, don't trust us. I didn't want to do it in the first place." Naomi snorted at my words as she reached me for a hug. "Love you," I chimed in her ear as she pulled away from me.

She flipped off Blake before winking at me. "I love you both. Play nice kids," She teased before grabbing her car keys off the counter and walking out of the kitchen. "Wait what if she wakes up!" I called out after her but there was no answer.

Blake's chuckle broke me out of my panicked phase as I groaned. I hated watching kids. In the orphanage, babies were just a reminder that they were better than you. In the really run-down poor orphanages, there weren't any baby dolls to play with—so we got babies to take care of.

You would get attached to the babies, they would get adopted and then the whole process would repeat itself. But somehow, the ones in love with the babies never got adopted. It was always the babies. Always.

I didn't have anything against Stella of course, but the entire idea of watching a baby made me queasy. All of my trigger buttons were being pushed and I didn't want Blake to see that this made me weak.

Speaking of Blake—this shit was so embarrassing. We literally went at it like dogs for the last twenty-four hours and now instead of us being able to split up and be apart—we have to be together.

Not saying that I regret anything physical that happened with Blake because I didn't regret it one bit. However, what I did regret was feeling vulnerable in front of him. He always used everything he knew about me as leverage in our fights and I just put the bullet and gun in front of me.

But he was changing.

I could see some sunlight in that darkness of his.

"What do you want for breakfast blondie?" His question broke me out of my thoughts as I gave him a bewildered look. "Huh?" I asked as he reached into the cupboard for pans.