fifty-seven

Sloane Beck

Sloane Beck

My fingers were raw and red.

Not only from breaking his chain but from slamming onto the 'open door' button on the elevator control system. I needed out of the penthouse I was currently being swallowed inside of.

"Sloane," His voice whispered behind me.

Ignoring him I continued to aggressively push on the button for going downward. My shaky hands were struggling to keep ahold of the one-button as I continued to push at it. I couldn't see through my tears as I was drowning in every emotion possible.

Drowning seemed like an easy way to die.

To be consumed—to be swallowed whole.

Almost like with love— silly, stupid, crazy love.

"Baby, please." His hand covered my shaky one as I continued to pound on the button. Tears cascaded down my cheeks as I heard the nickname. His fingers squeezed my palm in a comforting way.

How comforting was it to have the one person in the world you would've trusted with your life betray you?

I closed my eyes, letting the tears fly down my cheeks, dripping onto the ground and on my shirt. I took a deep breath, inhaling and exhaling from my nose. If I opened my mouth—I knew that would be the end of it. I would probably let out the most painful sob and he didn't deserve to hear me cry.

He didn't deserve to see what his work of modern warfare had done to me.

Opening my eyes, the elevator chimed. It was ready to open its doors to me and away from the one person who I found a home in for these past couple of months. But not anymore.

Blake Day had taught me that a home could never be a person.

Home was simply a place with walls and a roof—never a heartbeat. Because the heartbeat will make you weak—it will make the foundation of the house crumble. The home that once was something was now nothing.

The doors opened and he squeezed my hand once again.

"Please, it's a misunderstanding. Please, hear me out. Please," He mumbled from behind me.

I let out a chuckle as I ripped my hand from his, walking into the elevator. Slamming on the button to my floor—I was annoyingly joined in the elevator. The button to stop the elevator was pressed. The doors were held open as he stepped in front of the control center, not allowing me to leave.

I let out a loud round of laughter—wow, defamation of character and now false imprisonment? He was obsessed with breaking my heart and the laws today.

"Get the fuck out of the elevator," I spoke to him, making him look pathetic.

He shook his head. "Hear me out, please, baby, please." He begged.