twenty-one

Sloane Beck

Sloane Beck

I felt like I was making the wrong choice but at the moment, I didn't care. I needed the distraction.

My dirty white shoes with holes in them kicked at the open-air as my legs didn't reach the floor from sitting on the bench. Life was a waiting game and I was awaiting my sentence. "Natosha! Are you ready to meet your daddy?" I raised an eyebrow at the woman who had way too much enthusiasm for calling me fat a few weeks ago.

I had already met my daddy, why the hell would I want to meet a stranger?

It was cold in Russia. I had goosebumps all over my exposed skin and it wasn't like the homes in the foster care system had the best upkeep either. Holes in walls, the weird smells, cooking food over an open flame- no heat or air.

I missed being in the bakery and having my parents crack eggs over each other's heads or when they would slap my cheeks with flour on their hands.

"Silly little girl, are you going to answer? Nobody wants a dumb kid." I glared at her. "And nobody wants to meet new parents after her parents died," I muttered under my breath.

But apparently, she had heard it as my chin was gripped by her fingers, yanking my face to meet hers. Her eyes bore into mine but mine grew power against hers. "What was that?" Her voice held a threat.

And as much as I wanted to answer back to her with some smart-ass comment, I wanted dinner tonight if this meeting with my new father went the wrong direction. "Nothing," I responded she stared at me for a minute more before dropping my chin.

"Silly little Russian doll," I wanted her to eat her own words.

I remember feeling so much aggravation from that day to feeling so much relief. I met Izzie there, now my father. He was so sweet, kind, and nice. We had almost an immediate bond. I flew to New York the next day.

There I found out some pretty exciting news: I had a sister and I wouldn't be expecting a new mother at home—he would be another father. More importantly, my name wouldn't be Natosha anymore, it was Sloane.