thirteen

Blake Day

Blake Day

I watched as she laid curled up across me asleep. Her body raised and lowered itself with every breath she took. She was almost angelic—she was too perfect. She truly was a barbie, she was perfect in every single way.

Meeting my parents would be a stepping stone for her. I was nervous, shitting my pants. We had to be believable together. Could she put on a show?

A flight attendant's hands placed on my shoulders nodded towards me. "Mr. Day, we will be landing in five minutes. Make sure you both fasten your seatbelts." I nodded at her as she walked away.

How do you wake up someone who looks like they lived a better life if they were dreaming?

I cleared my throat, "Sloane." I spoke her name but she didn't stir. Of course, she didn't—even when she was asleep she didn't listen to me. Are we surprised?

"Sloane," I tried again but no movement. That's when I huffed, slowly rising from my seat, leaning across to wake her up. Her eyebrows which were usually furrowed were relaxed and at peace. Did I feel bad for waking her?

I used my fingertips to wake her, my hands would be too rough for her slim body. I brushed the hair out of her face, her lips pouty. I shook her collarbone lightly as her eyes slowly fluttered open.