Chapter 60

I swallow the lump in my throat. Steve was just standing there with his arms crossed looking serious.

You guys done?"

"Steve...wha-"

"I need to talk with you guys."

"Right now?" Bucky asks seriously now.

"No, not now, Tony wants to talk about what happened before you guys left. We'll talk later."

"Ok," I say feeling nervous for both the talk we're going to have on what happened Friday with Tony and what Steve wants to talk about.

I go to grab my flowers and snacks until Bucky stops me and grabs them.

"I got them," he says with a smile.

I nod and he takes the bag and flowers.

"So what are you going to do with these?" Bucky asks about the flowers as he and Steve follow me heading back with Tony to the conference room.

"I don't know..."

"Can I throw these out then?"

"Wha- why? They're still pretty and living plants."

"You want to keep his flowers?" He asks looking upset.

I look back at Steve who just looks like he doesn't want to be involved.

"Fine, throw them out or whatever," I sigh.

"Thank you," he says kissing my cheek as we step out of the elevator onto the floor.
"But these we can share," he says pulling out the donuts making me chuckle.

"Sure."

"As cute as this is..." Steve cuts in sarcastically.
"I would draw a line before we step in," he says looking between the both of us.

"Right," I say looking down and letting Bucky go in first and then Steve next.

I notice that Bucky actually threw the flowers in a trash can inside. I would protest but I understand that I shouldn't have flowers from Cole and having them here would just be weird, plus I have no one to gift them to.

We got in and I ended up sitting between Nat and Sam and across from Bucky and Steve.

"Well, now that everyone is here there's something we have to tell you...Jane."

I start to feel on edge.

"Me?"

Everyone was staring at me with a serious look to their faces which wasn't helping the anxiety deep in me flaring up.

"We've all been looking into the men who we believe to be affiliated with hydra."

"What?"

"Steve has been specifically looking into that Caden guy from the bar."

"Wait-So is that what you've all been doing this whole time when you were out on missions? And you didn't tell me.."

They all stay silent.

"Did you guys know they were targeting me before the attack?"

No one responded but by the look on their faces, I could already tell.
They knew and they didn't tell me. It all made me think of the talks I saw Tony having with Bucky and his talks with Steve and it made me feel sick. I look over to Bucky and he looks equally as confused.

He realizes what I'm thinking as I look at him and he widens his eyes and starts to shake his head imperceptibly.
Relief hit me but I still felt furious knowing that the team knew I was being targeted and they didn't say anything. No wonder why they haven't been taking me on missions.