Chapter 62

They ended up making baked feta pasta and chicken Florentine pasta. Since it would be a lot of us.

I ended up going back upstairs and putting some make-up on and doing my hair properly before Cole arrived as it started getting late once we finished cooking. More like once they finished.

I did light makeup like always and curled my hair a bit before going back out.
To my luck when I got out of my room Steve was just walking by dressed up and heading downstairs as well.

"Hey," I say awkwardly as we stand and wait for the elevator to open.

"Hey."

I didn't know what to say and I knew he was upset and wanted to talk but I've been dreading that too, also he's been busy. I've been waiting for it to happen and he hasn't talked to us and I can't take it anymore.

"Look I know you're not happy about my relationship with Bucky but honestly it's none of you or anyone else here's business," I say sternly before looking up at him who had his eyebrows raised.

"Is that so?"

"Yes."

The doors open and we finally step in as he presses on the right floor and the doors shut.

"Look Jane I'm not trying to be the bad guy. I'm just trying to protect you," he says after a bit of silence.

"Protect me? From what?"

He opens his mouth hesitantly as the door opens and we see Bucky standing there waiting.

"Oh...hey. I was just coming to see if you were alright and ready."

"Well I am, as ready as I'll ever be."

I step out and follow behind Bucky with Steve beside me.

"We'll talk later," he whispers into my ear.

I look at him confused as to why he needs to whisper. I simply nod back at Steve and walk ahead.

We got the drinks and dishes ready as everyone started showing up. They all seemed happy to be there and see me. All apart from Clint who didn't get why we had to have dinner just to meet Cole.

I got a text soon as everyone else was here from Cole saying he would be here in ten minutes which just got me even more anxious.

I sit on the couch talking with them all while waiting.

I felt Bucky's flesh hand on my thigh as I look up at him smiling.

"Everything will be okay," he says reassuringly.
It made me feel a bit better and I was about to respond until I got a text from Cole saying he was here.

I jump up quickly catching Bucky and everyone else by surprise.

"Okay, he's here! Ummmm, behave," I say to everyone pointing at them frantically before walking off.
"Please," I add coming back yet again as they all smile and nod.

I head to invite him in and when I let him in I noticed he's dressed pretty casually like all of us.

He was wearing a white shirt with a long grey coat and some dark blue corduroy pants.
He had his hair done up and slicked back.

"Jane," he says opening his arms smiling.

I embrace him as he kisses the top of my head.

"I got to be honest I'm a little nervous."

"Me too," he admits chuckling.

"I'm sure it'll be fine."

"It will," he says placing a hand on my shoulder.