Chapter 66

When I got there he barely let me say a word because he was blabbering on about what he had done the past week and then he went on to apologize for anything that may have bothered me from the dinner to cause me to be so distant.
At one point I just had to butt in and tell him why I was there. 
I honestly couldn't tell how he felt. It seemed like he took it well. He was pretty serious at first and looked upset but once I started apologizing like twenty times for not feeling the same he softened up and told me it was okay. He did ask if we could be friends and I told him, yes but I don't think I'll be seeing much of him anymore if I'm being honest.

By the time I got home though it was pretty late and I noticed Bucky was in his room already. The lights were off so I assumed he was asleep and thought it was best not to bother him. If he didn't talk to me then it's probably because Tony or Steve called him for something or the worst is he probably had to spend the day with Shuri again.

Lots of times he's not supposed to be doing work with her but then she thinks of something new for them to try or she needs him yet again for whatever they tend to do. I don't know exactly what he does with Shuri or how she helps him, since I know it takes a toll on him I never seem to ask and I'm not exactly allowed back there with them.

Although I would like to know what it is that he's doing that's supposed to help him, I'm kind of glad I don't know. Whatever it is that he does must not be pretty and I don't know how I would handle hearing or let alone seeing what they do.

Soon after my never-ending thoughts, I fell asleep.

The next day I didn't see Bucky anywhere during the day. I just thought maybe he was busy so I just worked out and did some paperwork for Tony.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's been a week and a half and I haven't really seen Bucky around and when I have it's around usually everyone including Tony so we didn't talk much but what stuck out to me was how distant he was. He didn't look at me when we would see each other, he usually looks at me and makes eye contact and smiles or tries to sneak off with me but he hasn't done much and whenever I've tried to talk to him or sneak away with him he disappears somewhere in the tower. When I look at him at times he looks away quickly like he doesn't want to catch my gaze but that didn't keep me from noticing the times I have caught him staring at me.

Today however I asked everyone if they'd seen him and they all said they had seen him around the tower all over and whenever I'd get to a different spot that they said they spoke to him in I would look and he wasn't there. I felt like I was looking for a needle in a haystack all the time. Just impossible to talk to him, I was starting to feel worried like he's avoiding me after the first week but I didn't want to jump to conclusions. Now I'm just mad.

I keep thinking these were the moments I wish he had a phone so I could just text him and ask what's up as well as why he hasn't talked to me.
If I'm right though then he probably wouldn't have answered my messages either so I guess it doesn't really matter.

It was late in the day and I was bored so I decided to head to the roof for a bit and just sit. I was up there for a while listening to music and scrolling through my phone when I felt someone's presence behind me and I turned quickly only to be a bit disappointed when I saw it was Tony and not Bucky.

"Hey.."

"Hey. What are you doing up here alone?"
He asked me before sitting down on one of the other chairs up there beside me.

"Just hanging out."

He hummed in response.

We sat for a bit in silence just watching the city lights and people while the sun starts to set.