Chapter 72

The next day I was reminded when I got out of bed about my crusty shoes so I decided to go to the mall and buy new ones.

I called and asked Stacey to tag along with me since we didn't talk much at last night's dinner and she said yes.

I have like two pairs of shoes and they are both worn to shit now so I seriously need new ones.

As for Bucky, he has been busy with Shuri so I probably won't see him today. At least I hope, I don't think he's still annoyed about last night though. I did start to think about the whole thing with Steve yet again and I'm wondering if I should give Bucky some distance, maybe that's what we need but then again after how pissed I was that he left me hanging I don't think that would be wise of me.

I waited outside for Stacey for about ten minutes until she showed up in her car.

"Hey!" She says waving from inside.

I hurry over and she unlocks the passenger door for me.

"Hey!" I say getting inside and once I shut the door I give her a big hug.
"I feel like I haven't seen you in forever."

"We literally saw each other yesterday J, " she says about to laugh.

"Oh I know but you were preoccupied with Bruce so we barely talked."

"Oh...yeah sorry about that J."

"Ah don't sweat it, " I say buckling up. "Let's go."

We just caught up on each other and what we were both up to. We have talked a bit on the phone but the last time was a week ago and that was very short and also the same day we talked in person when she came over after.
I left out the Bucky drama just because it seems like a lot and frankly I don't need someone else telling me how clingy I am with Bucky.

We got there and started walking around to different stores until we got to a shoe store.

"So things going good with Bruce?" I ask with a smirk side glancing at her as I simultaneously look at the shoes they have trying to be subtle.

"Yeah...does he not talk about us?" She asks looking offended.

"No... but I mean he doesn't really talk about himself or- anything much," I say with a laugh. "Don't take it personally."

"True, it took me forever to get him to open up about that stuff. I just thought since you guys were more like family he would."

"Eh. I mean we are but he still isn't that talkative, maybe he just has a soft spot for you."

"Pfff yeah," she says rolling her eyes making me laugh.
"And...what about you?" She asks more calmly.

"Me?"

"Yeah, are you still with...Bucky?"

"Oh, yeah we're together."

"Oh."

Oh?

I could tell where this was going, when I would talk about him she didn't seem to like him much but I don't know why.  She seemed fine with him at first when I told her we were together. Now she just seems to despise him.

"Oh?"

"Yeah, just didn't think you guys would be together for this long."

"What? Why?" I say now turning my attending fully on her feeling hurt.

Did she really think we would have broken up by now? Does she have that little faith in me? In us?

"Well it's just- you two seem so different. I didn't think it'll work. I mean he's lived way before you and has seen millions of things...met all types of women probably. I just think with all that he's gone through, the person he is and the person you are...I didn't think you guys would go well together."

Ouch.

"Oh...wow. I didn't know that's how you truly felt. I thought you would be supportive, you seemed to like him when I first told you about us."

"We'll I had time to think and I'm just trying to be a good friend and be honest with you before it goes to shit."

"Stacey! What is up with you?"

"Look he just doesn't seem right with you. I mean isn't he also dangerous? He's the Winter Soldier, what if he hurts you?"

"He is not The Winter Soldier," I say getting in her face feeling my anger boiling inside me.

"Ok.."

"I'm gonna go."

"No-Jane I'm sorry I didn't-"

"Save it," I say storming out of the store leaving her and the mall.

I call the only person who I feel won't pressure me into talking and probably the person I'm in no position to talk to right now.

"Hello?"

"Bucky?"

"Jane- hey...are you okay?"

"I'm fine...what are you doing right now."

"I just finished showering, I was working out."

"Oh, Do you have to be with Shuri today?"

"No, not right now maybe later, why?"

"Can you pick me up?"

"Yeah. Of course, where are you?"

*

He showed up about ten minutes later after I sent him the address.

"Hey," he says looking worried as I get in and close the passenger door.

"Hey," I say with a forced smile.

"What happened?"

"I don't really want to talk about it. Can you just take me home?" I say softly.

"Yeah of course."

*

"Are you sure you don't need me ooor..."

"It seems like you need me," I joke.

"Because I can tell Shuri I'm tired and we can do it tomorrow...maybe," he says with an unsure look.

"Buck I'm fine just go do your session," I drop my smile and look at him seriously. "Please."

Right now is not a good time to keep him from his sessions. He needs them and we've spent enough time together the last hour after getting back.

He was telling me about how he knows not to mess with me after what happened which made me laugh. He helped me feel better for a while and not focus on what had happened, at least until now since he has to go.

"Mm okay," he says giving me a quick peck on the lips before leaving my bedroom to go see Shuri.

I just laid back feeling confused and angry. It just seems like everyone is against us being together in some way. They've either said it directly or said something implying that we shouldn't be together. Thor told me to be careful, Clint said that Bucky is an ass to me once in private and that I could do better to which I told him to piss off. Nat and Wanda have told me that it isn't a good idea and even Vision told me that there are things about 'Sargent Barnes' that don't sit well with him. I assumed he wasn't too fond of the person he was before.

Everyone was against us; well except for Sam. I don't think he's ever told me we aren't good together. He's always assumed we were together since before we even were. He's always smiling and he seemed even more excited when we got together than we did.
I think I should talk to him and see what he thinks, I could use some uplifting even though my gut is telling me everyone is right, that there's possibly something more to all of this.