Chapter 85

I found myself on the hill Bucky took me to the night we went out to the drive-in theater. The place he also took me on our first date.

I just sat there looking out into the city imagining myself with him there as I hold on to his dog tags that he gave me that I wear every day now.

I let go to look down at the shiny reflection from the ring he gave me.
I never took it off, not even when I found out what he did, and now I'm pretty glad I didn't exaggerate and throw it somewhere when I was angry because this is yet another thing I have left of him.

I just sat with my eyes closed imagining him here. With his arms around me and looking at me like he always does. Looking at me as if there isn't a beautiful city in front of us. Like I'm the only one he wants to be looking at.

I then open my eyes and nearly have a heart attack when I see him sitting next to me.

He's smiling back at me and his face looks normal. Completely without scars.

"Bucky?"

"Hi, Jane."

"W-What are you doing here? How are you alive?"

He doesn't answer but he looked at me intently and I look down at his leg that looks fine rather than how it had a bullet wound before. It's been four weeks but his face should at least still looked a bit bruised after everything they did to him.

This isn't real.

"You're not here are you?"

He smiles and shakes his head.

"Then how can I see you?" I ask in disbelief.

"Because you want to."

Wow, I'm going crazy.

I know this isn't real, but it feels real.

"I miss you," I say crying now.
I take back what I said about not having anything in me to cry anymore.

"I know darling, " he says quietly. "But you'll get past this."

"No- I can't without you," I say now full-on crying.

"Yes, you can. You can because you're strong."

I try to reach and touch him and he disappears.

"Buck?"

I instantly jolt up wide awake and feel the cold hit me hard all over my quivering body.

I fell asleep on the hill.

Shit.

I grab my phone and see that it is three-thirty in the morning.

I don't hesitate to get up and fly back home.

When I get there it's nearly four in the morning and I walk into the living room area and notice no ones here.

Or so I thought.

Suddenly the lamp next to the couch turns on and Tony is sitting there looking pissed.

"Good morning," he says sounding irritated.

"I'm so sorry Tony."

"Where were you?"

"It doesn't matter."

"It doesn't matter?" He says getting up.
"Do you know how worried I've been for you?"