Chapter Three

Clarice was walking the corridors with Professor Sprout so she could be reminded of where all of the greenhouses were. They were just leaving the final greenhouse when they bumped into Professor Snape. Professor Sprout only nodded to the man, but Clarice smiled at him and waved and surprisingly, his lips twitched upwards at her and gave her a nod!

"What was that? I don't think I've ever seen that man merely smile in my lifetime." Professor Sprout said while shaking her head in disbelief.

"What do you mean?" Clarice questioned. Sure, he was a bit grouchy, but he couldn't be that terrible right?

"Well, he usually keeps to himself. Doesn't even sit with us for meals most of the time. He's pretty bitter towards the children and kind of treats us staff like we are incompetent of doing our job. Except for Minerva, Professor McGonagall. They seem to get along well, oddly enough. I mean they are rivals." She rambled.

"Rivals? How so?" Clarice questioned.

"Minerva is Head of Gryffindor, Snape is Head of Slytherin. I'm the Head of Hufflepuff and Professor Flitwick, Filius, is Head of Ravenclaw." She continued.

"Ah I see now. I guess that is funny, Severus and I got to chat a little last night. I gave him some of my herbs from my personal quarters this morning. I do have some plants that we don't have here if you'd like me to re-pot them so we can show the older students?" Clarice asked for approval.

"Oh yes, absolutely. Dumbledore said you would probably come with a little collection. Anyways, what did you and Professor Snape talk about? He never really talks to any of us." She whispered and Clarice only told her that they had bumped into each other and spoke about plants he might find useful in some of his potions. She didn't mention the fact he was in her quarters.

They also spoke about the curriculum and what Pomona expected of Clarice. She would accompany her on her first day and then once a week after that to help her teach, other than that, she was free to teach as she wished and how she wanted. It was getting later in the evening and the students would be arriving shortly, so Clarice said she would catch up with Pomona later on and she headed back to her quarters to freshen up.

Clarice took a quick shower when she noticed she was already covered in dirt from repotting some plants with Pomona before. She dried her long hair and pulled it back into a ponytail. She pulled out a classic black dress, threw on her mary-janes, and fastened her cloak around her waist. She headed out just in time to catch Severus walking past her quarters.

"Evening, heading to the great hall?" Clarice asked him. He only nodded and continued walking. She practically had to run to keep up with him. They came out to a corridor that overlooked the courtyard and Clarice stopped when she saw something... unexpected.

"Merlins beard, who drove that?" She asked Severus which made him stop and come up behind her as they watched a flying car crash into a willow tree. Severus and her watched two kids tumble out with their luggage and the car drove away into the forest. Severus grunted and began walking in the opposite direction they were headed. Clarice wasn't sure if she should follow him so she just stood there.

"Are you coming?" He called out and she ran up to follow him like a puppy. 

"Umm are we going to discuss what just happened?" Clarice asked on his tail. He ignored her.

They walked down a flight of stairs and rounded a corner to see Filch with the two boys from before.

"I will take care of this from here, Argus." Severus spoke and the two boys looked at him and their eyes got big with fear while simultaneously turning pale. Severus dramatically turned and began walking towards his classroom while the boys stood there hoping they didn't have to follow him. Clarice motioned with her hand to have them follow and she gave them a small smile. The three of them followed him and when they got to his classroom, he shoved a The Prophet in their face.