Chapter Seventy

Weeks had gone by since the meeting and Clarice was getting ready for her weekend trip with her son.

"Ready to go make some friends?" She asked him. He nodded excitedly. She wished Severus would be going with her, but understood he had to stay. The final task was around the corner and the students were anxious as ever.

"We'll be back as soon as we can." She kissed Severus tenderly on the lips, not wanting it to end.

"Please be safe."

"Always am." She smiled at him before clutching Elio and apparating away.

They found themselves on the rocky beaches of Dorset. The morning haze lingered above the waters and the pair walked towards the waters edge.

"Mommy?"

"Yes darling."

"What if they don't like me?"

"Then they aren't friends of ours."

Clarice took took off her shoes and socks and rolled up her pant legs. Elio copied her and watched as she slowly took a single step into the water. The cold waves rushed her feet, getting the cuffs off her pants wet. Her main focus was the ocean and she gently parted the sea so her and Elio could walk freely towards the deep.

"Don't touch the water." Clarice warned him as she noticed him about to poke it.

"Pretty." He said.

"Yes. Very pretty." The walked forward as the ocean closed behind them. "Do you feel anything?"

"Feel what?" He asked.

"Can you sense them?"

"The people?"

"Merpeople. They prefer to be called that." She corrected him.

"I hear music. Singing." He said.

She tried to listen, but failed to hear anything.

"You mustn't leave my side. Understood?" She warned him.

"Yes Mom." He replied. "Over there."

Elio pointed out to a lingering shadow that was ahead of them.

"Hello!" He called out. Clarice watched as the merperson swam over to them. It screeched.

"My name is Elio." He introduced himself. "This is my mom."

He conversed with the creature until he turned back to his mom.

"Why are we here?" He asked Clarice.

"She won't understand me." Clarice said.

"I understand you." Clarice's head turned slightly as she understood what the merperson was saying.

"I don't understand. I've never-"

"The power is meant to be shared." She pointed to Clarice and Elio's intertwined hands. "Now to what do I owe the pleasure, descendants of Merlin?"

Clarice gulped, prepared to begin her speech.

"I'm friends with Anya." Elio smiled at her.

"Anya? I don't believe we have an Anya in our colony." She said.

"She lives in the black lake at Hogwarts." Clarice explained.

"I see."

"My name is Clarice."

"Nix. It's a pleasure. I didn't expect to see humans today." She said. "What brings you here?"

"We're trying to gain allies against the Dark Lord. Perhaps you've heard he's rising soon and we plan on defeating him for good this time." Clarice tried to explain.

"Well rest assured, my colony will be on your side. Although difficult since we can't leave the water." Nix said.

"You choosing our side is enough." Clarice smiled.

"Tell you what. I have something I can give you that might help." Nix said.

"That would be lovely." Clarice said. She watched Nix disappear and reappear within seconds.

"What is it?" Clarice asked holding the tarnished cup in her hands.

"We found it in the Bermuda Triangle when we were migrating. There's some sort of dark magic linked to it. Sometimes if you listen close enough you can hear it whispering."

"Do you know where it came from?"

"It was thrown off a ship. That's all I know."

Clarice studied the antique goblet carefully trying to recall where she had seen it before.

"Thank you Nix. I'll show my husband. He's good with that stuff."

"Pleasure meeting you. Good luck."

And with that Clarice separated them back to the beach for their shoes and other belongings.

"Ready?"

"She was nice."

"Very nice."

Clarice apparated them back to their quarters.

"Hey hun?" Clarice called out. "We're back."

"Hey you two. Have fun?"

"We saw a merperson. Her name was Nix."

"Was she a friend?" Severus asked.

"Yes. She gave us a present." Elio said and waited for Clarice to pull it out.

"Have you seen this before?" She asked him while handing him the goblet. She had never seen his eyes get that wide before.

"You don't know what this is?" He asked her. She shrugged.

"You nitwit this is Helga Hufflepuff's cup."

"Oh," She giggled. "I forgot!"

"It's been... defiled." His eyebrows furrowed.

"Nix said if you listen closely you can hear it whisper." Clarice informed him.

"I believe Albus needs to see this." Severus said. "You wanna come?"

"Not really..."

"Technically it was your mission." Severus said.

"Fine," She sighed. The three of them headed towards the headmaster's office.

"Hey Albus." She greeted the man who sat at his desk. "I met a merperson and she gave me Hufflepuff's cup."

Clarice spoke all nonchalant and handed him the cup. Severus held back a chuckle when he saw Albus' eyes.

"Bloody hell." Albus looked the cup over. "I take it the trip was a success?"

"They're on our side, but obviously can't leave the ocean. This was their way of helping." Clarice explained.

"I'll keep this safe. Thank you. Well done the both of you." Albus said.

"Is that it?"

"For now. Yes. Relax while you can." Albus said and they left his office.

"Weird." Clarice said.

"He's always weird." Severus spoke.

"No, he was scared of the cup. Did you see him? Absolutely terrified of it." Clarice shook her head.

"He's probably just shocked that's what you came back with."

"No, Sev. He was scared."