Chapter Fourteen

"Wait! Severus! Can we pleasseee go into Honeydukes? I need some sugar." Clarice nagged and pulled on Severus' cloak towards the sweetshop.

"You're like a toddler," He said, but still followed her into the sweet shop. "And a pain in the ass. The last thing you need is sugar."

"Oh don't be such a Debby Downer."She gave him a grin and he rolled his eyes at her as she bounced over to a wall of chocolate frogs. "What's your favorite sweet?

"I don't have one." Severus replied and Clarice frowned.

"Everyone has a favorite?" She questioned him further while grabbing some jelly slugs and Bertie Bott's Beans.

"I don't." He repeated and Clarice gave him a 'wtf' look.

"Bullshit." She said and proceeded to shove two of each piece of candy the shop had to offer into a bag.

"That's a lot of sweets." Severus said coming up behind her at the register.

"Yup," Was all she responded and handed the cashier exact change.

"Where to next?" He asked her.

"I'm going to go pick out my attire for tonight. You can't see them until later though, so go busy yourself in the potions store." Clarice said and skipped towards the shop. After thirty long minutes of browsing and getting frustrated, she was starting to lose hope. That was until she spotted the perfect dress.

There it stood on a mannequin, made of the finest silk, all the way down to the floor, with the most brilliant shade of emerald green you had ever seen. Perfect for Christmas.

"May I try this one on?" She asked the clerk who nodded her head and used her wand to switch out Clarice's clothes for the dress while summoning a mirror. The sight of herself almost made her choke. This was perfect. It accentuated all of her good features with a deep v-neck that was tight around the top and flowed gracefully down the rest of her body. "I'll take it."

Clarice popped out of the shop and had her dress sent up to the castle.

"There you are!" She said while bumping into Severus outside of Zonkos. "Get anything good?"

"Just a few quills." He replied.

"Ooh Mr. Fancy." She said and they walked a bit in the snow. The village was very quiet since most people were with their families this day.

"Let's grab a drink." She suggested while heading towards the Three Broomsticks. Severus held the door for her and they took a seat at the bar.

"So, did you find a dress?" He asked her before ordering a firewhiskey.

"Dragon Barrel brandy please." She ordered. "Yes, I did."

"And? What's it look like?" He asked.

"Not telling. It's a surprise." She replied while taking a sip of her drink.

"You can't even tell me the color?" He tried.

"Nope." She said. Having tried this before and failing, Severus tried reading her mind.

"You know I can tell when you're trying to read my mind? Right?" She asked him and he gave her a confused look.

"Whatever do you mean?" He asked innocently.

"I can tell. You're a legilimens." She explained what he already knew.

"How did you know?"

"I know things." She replied with a smile.

"Yeah, but how?" He tried asking again.

"I know people," She continued.

"Who?" He asked.