Chapter Sixty Four

"Claire, come on! We're going to be late." Severus shouted from the living room as Clarice was making sure Elio would be warm enough. The winds by the lake could get quite strong.

"Coming! Coming!" She said as she pushed the bedroom door open with her hip. She had on her black jeans and white cloak.

"You sure you want to wear that? Might get dirty." Severus said and Clarice rolled her eyes.

"It's the warmest one I have. Besides, my yellow one was ruined. Remember?" She eyed him.

"Oh yes, the dreadful yellow cape. How could I forget." He chuckled while putting his arm around her shoulders and letting Elio run ahead of them while they followed. Once they caught up with the crowd of students, Clarice scooped Elio up and walked along everyone else. She saw Harry walking with Neville and gave him a quick smile and nod before getting into a boat with Elio, Severus, and Minerva.

The boat began moving on its own and Clarice watched Elio in awe. She always loved his reactions to magic. She let her fingers dance across the water, but flinched when something bit her.

"Ouch," She quickly lifted her hand to reveal a baby grindylow stuck to her. Instead of flinging it back into the water, she quickly cradled it while tickling its belly so it would let go. Once the creature was content, she let it back into the water.

"Why do strange creatures like you so much?" Minerva asked and Clarice only smiled.

"There are no strange creatures," Clarice laughed and looked to Severus.

"Only blinkered people." He finished for her, having heard her rant about this topic on multiple occasions.

Once the boat stopped completely by the towers, Severus stepped out first and helped Minerva out, then Elio, then finally he lifted Clarice up.

"Stay close, okay," She spoke to Elio as they made their way up to where the staff was standing around the champions.

Worry took over her and she ended up lifting Elio up to her hip. She listened while Albus gave a speech and the canon went off. Clarice waited for Elio to start crying from the noise, but he only cheered with everyone else. She eyed Alistar who had to push Harry into the lake.

"So now we wait an hour?" She asked Severus.

"Yep."

"Hmm. This seems boring." Clarice chuckled.

"Well," Severus started. "I mean yeah."

"Where's grandma?" Clarice asked while looking around.

"No idea." Severus said. "She's been distracted over something lately."

Clarice could only think it was the thing she tried to get out of her yesterday.

"Can we go up higher?" She asked.

"I suppose so." He said and they made their way up the stairs. It was quite crowded, but Clarice didn't mind.

"I reckon you'd find half your ingredients for that potion in this lake." Severus chuckled and Clarice laughed nervously. He was probably right.

"Are you really going to try?" He asked while standing on the opposite railing everyone else was near.

"I think I have to." She replied while hitching Elio up higher on her hip.

"You can probably put him down. I'm sure he'll be okay." Severus said and she just shook her head quickly no. "Let me take him then. He'll kill your back."

"Thanks," She handed him over.

"Are we swimming?" Elio asked.

"Not today. Too cold." Clarice said while fixing his little Hogwarts scarf. Expecting him to start having a tantrum, she quickly pulled out a sweet for him which he took immediately.