Chapter Sixty One

Clarice sat in her room before her and Freja had to leave to visit the tree for their ritual. Two days it's been without a word from her husband and her anxiety was getting the worst of her.

She heard a knock on her door as brushed out her long black skirt before opening it to reveal Freja.

"It's time," She smiled and Clarice forced a smile to match. The women began to trek to their spot where the tree stump was. The cauldron rest upon the stump and in a circle laid the ingredients needed to prepare the potion.

"How do you start these sorts of things?" Freja asked.

"Here, I'll lead. Just take my hand." Clarice reached over the cauldron to take her hands. Taking a moment to prepare herself, Clarice closed her eyes and took a deep breath. They had left their shoes outside of the circle so their bodies could be one with the earth. Clarice had to admit, it was freezing out. The January weather hasn't been in their favor.

She took two more deep breaths and began to whisper only audible to herself and Freja. Not that there was anyone else there, but she had to speak these words. She had to mean them.

"There is a universe swirling inside of us." She began.

"I am my own air, fire, water, earth, and spirit." She took another breathe.

"I am a natural phenomenon- not a natural disaster." She spoke and opened her eyes. Freja's were still closed. "Say it again with me."

Both girls repeated the saying two more times until they felt it. It started as a cold breeze, but turned into a warm haze surrounding them.

"I welcome the air among us." Clarice said while tightening her grip on Freja's hand. Almost immediately the wind picked up and thrashed against the girls, tangling their strands of hair.

"I welcome fire among us." Clarice spoke again and sighed as the chilly air turned warmer and friendlier.

"I welcome water among us." Clarice said and the cauldron began to bubble, spraying the girls with warm water.

"I welcome earth among us." Clarice said and took a sharp breath as the ground beneath them began to shake. At some point their feet had left the ground and the pair was floating in the air, surrounded by all but one element.

"I welcome spirit among us." As the final words left her lips, their was purple glow that emitted from the cauldron as the women were placed back onto their feet.

"During this time, when the moon is most pure, our powers of life and magic are at its brightest." Clarice walked to the North and picked up the first ingredient; stinging nettle. Careful not to brush against the leaves, she gently discarded it into the cauldron.

"Let courage be found within us." She spoke before moving to the next ingredient; feverfew.

"Let happiness be found within us." She said. Freja, getting the idea, picked up the sorrel and placed it in the cauldron.

"Let love be found within us," Freja said softly as Clarice had moved East to grab the heather. 

"Let luck be found within us," She smiled.

"Let peace be found within us," Freja smiled back while placing the clary sage down gently.

"Let protection be found within us," Clarice laid down the marjorum and moved South.

"Let success be found within us." Freja placed the lovage down.

"Let wisdom be found within us," Clarice placed the chervil.

"Let health be found within us," Freja rested the chamomile down and Clarice moved West.

"May the body and soul of kindred spirits return." Clarice dropped the venomous tentacula into the cauldron. Freja picked up a snargaluff.

"May the warmth and fire within the heart return," Freja dropped the snargaluff into the cauldron. Clarice eyed the vial of arnica awaiting her; the final ingredient.

"May the elements give us the strength to move forward." She merely whispered while uncorking the vial. Her hands, which were visibly shaking, were kept steady as Freja held onto her wrist to steady them. The vial was emptied and the cauldron was the prettiest shade of lilac. The circle in which the ingredients were placed began to glow and in its place gree beautiful wildflowers.

"May the heart of Carmarthen town be restored." Clarice took out a silver dagger and dug it deep enough into her palm to draw blood. She handed the dagger to Freja who recited the same words and followed Clarice.

The women placed their palms against the other, watched their blood mix and run freely down their arms and off the tip of their elbows, dripping into the cauldron.

It was almost instant, there was an eery high pitched hum coming from within as the cauldron glowed a hauntingly white light. Once again, the women were gently lifted into the air.

From Clarice's perspective, she watched the stars drop down to earth and create gold ribbons around their bodies and meeting in the center where their hands were still entwined.

As gentle as they were lifted, Clarice felt grass beneath her feet. She felt the wind die down. She watched the cauldron stop bubbling. She saw the purplish haze diminish and her vision restored. She felt cold again.

Looking at her hands, there was no more blood, no cut, no pain. Her eyes fell to Freja who was adjusting back to earth.

"Is that it?" Freja asked.

"Now we wait." Clarice looked into the cauldron and only saw dirt within.

"Wait for..." Freja trailed off.

"You'll know it when you see it," Clarice said feeling faint. "Let's go back now."

Clarice slept for two days straight after that. She had never exhausted herself like that ever before. In fact, she probably could have kept sleeping if it weren't for that constant nagging voice telling her to wake up.

"Claire, darling, you need to wake up."

Her eyes fluttered open and then quickly shut due to the brightness in her room. She groaned and scrunched her nose. That seemed to help because when she further opened her eyes, the room seemed darker... no there was something blocking her view. A figure... a person.

"Claire? You gave me quite a scare." Her focus rested on her husband who sat in front of her. The first thing she wanted to do was smack him upside the head for leaving without saying goodbye, but fortunately for Severus she didn't have the strength in her arms just yet. It felt like she was being restrained to the bed, like there were cinder blocks weighing her down.

After further investigations, she found that she was genuinely restrained to her bed.

"Why-?" Her voice croaked. She looked at Severus with a confused sad look.

"You... were hysterical Claire. We had to." Severus spoke.

"We?"

"Anastasia and I. You and Freja sort of... lost it. I guess." He trailed off.

"You're not making any sense." Her brows furrowed together even more.

I cant even say it.

It was easy to get inside his mind, although he was trying very hard to keep her out.

"Say it." She demanded. "Tell me."

Severus looked at her with sadness and disappointment in his eyes.

"You both tried to kill eachother."