Chapter Fifty One

Clarice was happily engaging with Neville Longbottom about a week after the first day when she heard someone knocking at her door. All heads turned to see their potions professor standing in the doorway. Clarice smiled at the man as he walked towards her. 

"My classes are ending early today since we're having the choosing of champions tonight. I was just grabbing our boy." He said while rubbing her shoulder. Clarice nodded as she watched Severus take a very talkative Elio out of his play pen and leave the classroom. 

"He's so cute," She heard Lavender Brown say to Parvati. 

"Who Elio or Snape?" Parvati replied and laughed. 

"The baby you dunderhead!" Lavender slapped her friend and Clarice pretended not to hear, but had to hide her laugh. 

"I suppose since the other classes are letting out early, if you've finished your assignments you can head out. I'll be here until class is actually over in case any of you wanted to stay." She said, but every single student except for Hermione Granger left the class. 

"Sorry, Professor. I'm almost done," Hermione said while scribbling feverishly on her parchment. 

"No need to rush, Miss Granger. I have to grade a few first years papers anyways." Clarice placed her glasses upon her nose and worked on the pile that seemed to double in size. 

Twenty minutes later, Clarice had heard shuffling and looked up to see Hermione at her desk. 

"I'm done with my essay. I can help you grade if you'd like." She suggested. 

"Oh I couldn't ask that of you." Clarice spoke. 

"You're not asking, I'm offering." She replied with a smile and conjured up a chair next to the witch and grabbed a stack of papers. 

"I miss being this young and clueless." Hermione laughed while marking a paper and leaving suggestions. 

"I doubt you've ever been clueless, dear. You're the smartest of your grade. Maybe even smarter than some fifth years." Clarice replied and they stayed silent for a couple minutes. 

"How did you know Severus was the one?" She asked out of the blue and Clarice was slightly shocked at the question and paused to choose her next words carefully. 

"I guess I didn't at first, but he proved he was along the way. I thought he was a git... at first... then he showed me who he really was and that's when I knew I had found the person I wanted to spend the rest of my life with." She spoke. 

"What does it feel like?" Hermione asked. 

"What? Love?" 

"Yeah, knowing you've found someone who will protect you." She said. 

"Love feels like safety, security. Love feels like having a deep-rooted feeling that this person will look out for you, and try their best, despite what the overwhelming fear is telling you. Love looks like wanting to get better, wanting to heal from your trauma instead of having their love heal you." She said quietly as she finished up her last paper. "Blimey! Is that the time? Sorry Granger, we're nearly late for supper."

"No worries, Professor. I'll see you later!" She said while gathering her belongings and leaving quickly. Clarice rushed back to her quarters just in time to see Severus placing his cloak upon his shoulder and putting a sweater over Elio. 

"Sev, I think I'm going to stay here with Eli." She said while picking up her son. 

"Why's that? Don't you want to see who gets chosen for the tournament?" He asked.