Chapter Seventy Two

"What are your plans this summer?" Minerva has asked Clarice on their way back to the castle.

"Oh I don't know. Relax I hope. Grow some new plants maybe. You?"

"Oh the same old. Read, do some traveling, and perhaps take on a new hobby if I'm feeling adventurous." She smiled.

"Will I see you at the meetings?" Clarice asked.

"Of course. Summer's are easier for me. I will be there."

Clarice and her family had made it back to their quarters and with a wave of her wand, their life was packed in a single suitcase.

"Shall we say our goodbyes?" Severus asked and she nodded.

It took longer than expected. She wanted to try and reach out to the seventh years and wish them good luck on their futures and reassure them they were going to do great things.

"Professor Bates?" She heard a familiar voice.

"Yes Harry," She smiled.

"Thank you for everything this year." The boy gave her a hug which she returned tightly.

"Owl me if you need anything. Anything at all." She messed up his hair.

"Mr. Malfoy," Severus greeted the blonde boy who was patiently waiting for someone.

"Professors. May I talk to you?" Draco asked shyly. Severus pulled him aside while Clarice finished her conversation with Harry and asked him to watch Elio for a minute.

"I just... I dont... My dad..." Draco stumbled over his words until Clarice rested a hand on his shoulder and moved him into a nearby classroom for more privacy.

"I wanted to warn you." Draco finally said.

"My dad found him. He's planning on resurrecting him this summer. I don't know how. He's been talking about it for months now. I just... thought you needed to know." Draco mumbled.

Clarice gave Severus a worried glance, but turned back to Draco.

"Thank you. We're doing our best to prevent that from happening. Do you think we should... arrange a dinner?" Clarice asked Draco.

"Might brighten up my summer actually." Draco almost smiled.

"No plans?" Clarice asked and he shook his head.

"We'll change that." Clarice smiled and they headed back out. "Thanks Harry, go on now. Don't be late."

They watched Draco and Harry walk away together talking about how boring their summer was going to be.

"Are they friends now?" Severus asked.

"I think so."

"If his father ever found out..."

"Don't ever mention it."

They said goodbye to the staff and waved as the train began moving. Once they were out of sight, Severus apparated them back to their manor.

"Home sweet home." He said while throwing his cloak on the kitchen table. Clarice quickly hung it up on the hook and shot him a glare.

"Were you serious about arranging a dinner with the Malfoy's?" Severus asked her.

"I think it would be nice. Draco is one of our best students and you and his father are friends-"

"We are not friends."

"Right, but he's under the impression you are. What's wrong? Why don't you want to go? It would be nice to check on Draco too. I think he gets lonely." Clarice went on for a minute.

"I just don't need you getting wrapped up in Death Eater drama. If they found out who you really are, they'll kill you. You know that." Severus said then sighed. "Just one dinner."

"Would you like me to write a letter or would you like to do the honor?" She retrieved a quill.

"I'll write to Lucius and mention getting together. They will offer to have dinner at their manor. They love showing off." He muttered.

"When's the next order meeting?" Clarice asked.

"I have to double check, but I think we're going to be changing it to twice a month instead of once." Severus replied while scribbling on parchment.

"That didn't answer my question." She giggled.

"Right erm... next Tuesday I believe." He said while squinting at the parchment and scribbling again.

"Love, we really do need to get you glasses." She rubbed his shoulders.

"I'm fine. I can see." He muttered.

"Sev... They would be-"

"I don't need glasses!" His voice was slightly raised which made Clarice tense for a small second before resuming her gentle touch on his shoulders. Although slight, Severus noticed her tense up and put the quill down. "I'm sorry."

"No it's alright. I just think you would benefit from them is all." She cleared her throat.

"The kids won't take me seriously if I wear them." He said.

"Screw the kids. Half of them wear glasses anyway. Who cares? And I wear glasses! What's wrong with mine?"

"I care... and there's nothing wrong with your glasses. I just..."

"Ya know there's something called contacts?"

"They sound uncomfortable."

"They are. Glasses would be more comfortable though." She tried to convince him.

"Claire I don't know..."

"Just try them out for the summer."

"Okay fine." He said.

"Can I pick them out?" Clarice grinned.

"Absolutely not." He said while finishing up the letter and sending it out.

The following day the family found themselves in Diagon Alley. Clarice had just helped Elio pick out some sweets to take home, but it was mainly to keep him quiet as she helped Severus look at new glasses.

"I love these." She held up a pair of red cat eye glasses. He only rolled his eyes at her. Eventually he settled on a plain black rectangular pair and refused to put them on until they were at home.

"How do I look?" He asked her in the kitchen. She looked up from where she was sitting with Elio and grinned.

"Devilishly handsome." She smiled and stood up to cup his face in her hands. "But I still prefer those red ones."