Chapter Thirty Five

"So I guess Christmas in America is out of the question this year?" Severus came up behind the blonde witch and hugged her tightly, but let go just a bit so she could turn around and face him. 

"I don't think it's a good idea to leave the children... and Sirius... It just wouldn't be fair to Remus to leave him in charge of everything." Clarice spoke gently. 

"I feel bad. You haven't seen them in so long." He brushed a strand of hair away from her face. 

"It's fine. Truly. Perhaps next year will be easier." She smiled. 

"Well next year we're having the triwizard tournament. Staff is usually expected to stay for holidays." He informed her. 

"The what?" She asked. 

"Triwizard Tournament? Surely you've heard about it? The competition between us, Durmstrang, and Beauxbaton?" He questioned. 

"Oh right, I think so. I was never old enough to participate so I never really cared I guess." She went silent and zoned out. 

"Penny for your thoughts?" He asked her. 

"Two more years till I see my family?" She asked herself, but said it out loud. 

"Can't you visit in the summer?" He asked as he sat down on his couch and offered her the spot next to him. Since Sirius had been camped out in Clarice's quarters, she's been staying in his more often. 

"Mom and Dad will be... elsewhere. Wherever they want. I'd love to see them and my cousins all together. Guess that's no longer an option." She mumbled. 

"You can still go this Christmas. Nothing's stopping you." He told her insinuating that he would have to stay back. 

"I'd want you with me though." She smiled at him. 

"I'll see what I can do. Plan on going. You need it," He pecked her lips. Christmas was only about two weeks away so she made a mental note to tell Dumbledore she won't be staying this year when she saw him. 

"Will Severus be joining you?" Dumbledore had asked her when she brought it up. 

"Is he allowed to? I'm sorry it's so last minute." She tried to tell him. 

"Nonsense, the man hasn't taken a holiday since he started working here. He could tell me he's taking a month off and I'd still pay him." He chuckled. 

"Thanks Albus, I really appreciate this." She told him. 

"Of course, Clarice." 

She had practically skipped to the dungeons, she couldn't wait to tell Severus that they could both go. As she stepped into the potions classroom, she was met by Remus and Severus having a very serious conversation that Clarice couldn't make out. 

"Ahem." She cleared her throat as she walked in and the boys both snapped their heads towards her. 

"Remus, I have a favor to ask of you." She said and the man raised his eyebrows at her. 

"I was wondering if while we're away, you could watch over my plants and creatures...and Sirius this holiday?" She smiled. 

"That wouldn't be an issue seeming as I owe you both for the potions you've been brewing for me." He smiled at the witch. 

"Much appreciated." She nodded and placed her books on Severus' desk.  

"You have your own desk you know." He told her while eyeing the stack of textbooks she placed before him.