Chapter Seventy Eight

Clarice taught Draco everything she knew about the creatures and always made each day a lesson. She and Draco were able to convince Narcissa to let Draco stay with them a little longer and even invited her over for dinner. Clarice felt awful having to hide Harry that night but promised to make it up to him by bringing the boys out flying the following day. As they landed in one of her favorite spots, she made a comment about having to go back home and left the boys with lunch.

She didn't have to go home, of course, but she wanted to let the boys get away from the manor and be safe at the same time. She owed them that.

"Clarice? You left us out in the woods!" Draco came back inside and took off his shoes. 

"I'm in the kitchen!" She yelled while silently giggling and composing herself. 

"We nearly got lost trying to find our way back." Harry plucked a blackberry from the fruit basket. 

"But did you die?" She asked them. 

"Er no?"

"Then why are you upset?" 

"We're not," Draco chuckled. "We thought you were coming back."

"I never said I was." She placed some dough on the table with a cloth over it to set. "Did you have a nice time?" 

"It was pleasant. The area is really nice." Harry said and plucked another blackberry. 

"Those are for dessert, Harry. If you're still hungry there's food in the pantry." She grabbed the fruit off the table. 

"Hedwig!" Harry exclaimed and got excited when he realized he had gotten mail. Clarice watched out of the corner of her eye to see who had sent him mail. It was only Ron and Hermione. She frowned at Draco who seemed sad he hadn't gotten a single letter this summer. 

"Can I invite Hermione over for the last few weeks of August?" Harry asked. 

"I suppose." Clarice said. "Might as well invite Ron." 

"Thanks!" Harry began scribbling his letters back to his friends. 

"Draco, you are more than welcome to have friends over too." Clarice said. 

"That's alright." He said trying to hide it. 

"Where's Eli?" Harry asked. 

"Probably in his room." Clarice said as Severus came into the kitchen. 

"Boys," He greeted them and kissed Clarice on the cheek. 

"How's your day hun?" She asked. 

"I'm having a hard time with the skelegro." He pushed his hair back with his hand. 

"Anything I can assist you with?" She asked. 

"Maybe..." He thought. 

"I can take a look if you want me to. What are you trying to attempt?" 

"To adjust the ratio of beetles and geranium to make it taste slightly better and be less painful." Severus said. 

"And what have you found out so far?"

"That the worse it tastes the less painful it is." 

"And vice versa?"

"Yes." 

"Hmm..." Clarice stirred the pot of sauce she had been working on for dinner. "I have an idea. Boys, watch the stove please."

Clarice headed down the hall to Severus' office and looked and the cauldron.