Chapter Seventy One

"You're not going?" Severus asked the day of the final task. He was dressed already while Clarice was still in her pajamas.

"Too loud for him." Clarice judged her head towards Elio.

"I've got earmuffs." Severus suggested.

"I dunno. I was a nervous wreck during the last one. I dont think so." She said.

"Elio do you want to go?" Severus asked.

"Yes yes!"

"The child has spoken." Severus smirked. "Get dressed."

The weather had gotten warmer, but Clarice still threw on a cardigan just in case it got chilly.

Clarice held one of Elio's hands and Severus took his other hand.

"Professor Bates?" She heard a student call her name and turned to see Luna Lovegood.

"Hello Miss Lovegood. Heading the stadium?" She asked the small girl.

"Eventually yes, I just saw you and had a question in my mind." She spoke.

"What's your question?" She asked as the family walked alongside Luna.

"My father was telling me about tombsickle plants and how if a demiguise consumed them they would permanently become invisible. Would the same happen to us?"

"Luna please don't go consuming random plants. The tombsickle is extremely toxic to humans and any other species. Hence the name." Clarice had to hold back a laugh over the question.

"But what if it was mixed in a potion that cancelled out the properties that caused death?" She asked.

"This sounds like a you question." Clarice told Severus. He sighed.

"There's only a handful of options that require that plants and all are poison related and very harmful to consume. Yes it turns you invisible, but you'll be dead. So what's the point?" He told her how it was.

"I see... But what-"

"Miss Lovegood. It is a Saturday Evening. Don't you have friends to join?" Severus interrupted her. Clarice smacked him over the head. "Ow!"

"Don't be a git!" Clarice yelled at him.

"Sorry for bothering you. See you later," Luna quickly turned the other way.

"What is wrong with you? Why would you say that to her? She's a child!"

"She's annoying."

"All children can be annoying. She was clearly interested in a topic about potions and you shut her up."

"She's never been interested in potions and she refuses to use any animal ingredients. She'll just throw in random flowers and herbs until I tell her to get out."

"Then help her find friendlier potions she's interested in."

"That's not how I teach."

"Then change it like you've changed yourself. Help her find a passion for potions."

Severus sighed. She was right. She was always right. They made their way towards their seats and waited for everyone to file in.

"Silence!" Albus' voice boomed over the crowd. He gave a speech and introduced the champions. The boom of the cannon scared her more than it did Elio and they watched the four of them enter the maze and the hedges blocked their views of anyone or anything inside.

"Now what?" Elio asked.

"We wait."

"I'm hungry." Elio said and Clarice pulled out a banana from her bag.

"I have to go to the bathroom." Elio said. Clarice sighed.

"I asked you if you had to go before coming up here."

"I didn't have to go then."

"I can take him." Severus stood up and shuffled past everyone with Elio in his arms.

"Hey Clarice," She felt a tap on her shoulder and turned around to see Remus.

"Remus, how are you? Haven't seen you in a while."

"Been a little busy, but the school years over now."

"I'm glad. I need a break." She chuckled.

"Albus told me you found the cup. That's remarkable. Wait until the next meeting when he tells everyone."

"Yeah, maybe they'll accept me then," She commented.

"The do."

"Sirius told me they questioned me." She said.

"Sirius told you that? No one's questioning anything about you. They're all ecstatic your with us finally."

"That's just what he told me." She shrugged. "How do we know who wins? Do they have to find their way back with the cup?"

"Er not sure. I'd assume the maze would lead them all back out here." Remus said. They waited and watched silently for any sign of movement.

"Where's Severus? Shouldnt he be back by now?" She wondered out loud. The wind in the maze shifted and they watched new paths form, but no one emerged.

"Did I miss anything?" She heard his voice.

"Nothing spectacular." She felt relieved he was back. She leaned closer to his ear. "Your fly is down."

She couldn't help but giggle as she watched him discreetly fix himself.

"I ran into Miss Lovegood on our way there. I apologized to her."

"That was sweet of you."

"I also encouraged her to try that new potion she was talking about."

"You what? That's a deadly potion. A third year shouldn't be-"

"Relax Claire. I offered my help."

"Oh..." She sighed a breath of relief. "Good."

"Yeah. She seemed forgiving."

"Good." She said and paused before turning to Remus.

"You should come back next year." She said.

"I'll think about it." He said with his eyes still glued on the maze waiting for something to happen.

"No really. You should. The kids love you. They learn from you." She tried to convince him.

"I'm actually trying to convince Sirius to apply. Now that he's a free man." Remus made eye contact with her. She thought about that.

"Why won't he?"

"He's been going on about how the position is cursed." Remus said.

"I mean, that's a fair point." She replied.

"Don't tell him that. I'm working on a compromise. We both teach together and that way it won't be too difficult for him. I haven't mentioned that yet."

"That would be a lovely idea."

"Claire look," Severus pointed towards the maze moving again. The entrances had reappeared and she could make out the champions walking out. Only one had a hold of the glowing blue cup, Cedric Diggory.

The cheers were so loud that Clarice held Elio's earmuffs tighter to his ears.

The others walked back to their headmasters while Cedric's father rushed out to hug him.

"That's my boy!" He cheered for his son.