Chapter Fifty Six

"You need to expand your mind while building a bigger wall around memories." Clarice explained one night while she had Draco and Harry sitting in her study hall room.

"That makes absolutely no sense Professor." Harry said.

"I hate to agree with Potter, but I agree." Draco said.

"So let's pretend your mind is a
island and in the center of that island is the treasure. Sure it might take some time to walk in and get it, but it would take even longer if there was a wall around it, right? So by expanding your mind, you're allowing your mind to work up different barriers to shield others from access. Are we on the same page now?" She asked and both boys nodded.

"Perfect, now what are some barriers you can use to confuse your opponent?" She asked.

"Well you could just block them." Draco said.

"Correct, but what else?"

"You can trick them into seeing an entirely different memory or only show them what you want them to see." Harry said.

"Yes yes."

"Or make up a scenario in your head that's not even true." Draco said.

"I knew you guys would get it." Clarice smiled.

"Can we practice now?" Harry asked.

"Only if you two are comfortable practicing on eachother." She took a sil of tea to hide her smirk.

"What? Why aren't we practicing with you?" Draco asked panicky.

"Because I can read anybody's mind no matter how skilled they are. Your blocks wouldn't affect me." She said. "If you're uncomfortable with eachother, I can go get Professor Snape."

"Uh, I'd rather stick with Malfoy." Harry stuttered.

"Er... me too." Agreed Draco.

"Perfect, now before we begin, I just want to make it very clear that whatever we see stays in this room and if I hear that trust has been broken you'll be living with Filch for the rest of term. Am I clear?" She asked.

"Crystal," Harry said and Draco nodded.

"Great, Potter you're up first. Draco, you'll be using the charm Legilimens." She said and nodded for them to begin. "Harry, brace yourself."

After several attempts of neither of them being able to successfully block one another, Clarice decided it would be best for them to rest and try again another day.

"We'll meet up again during winter break to practice more." Clarice said.

"Why not sooner?" Draco asked.

"Because you'll hurt yourself trying to hard." She simply said. "Rest and we'll try again."

"Bye Professor." Harry said glumly and walked out. She watched as Draco rushed to pack his things and heard him run out the door. She could have sworn she heard him yell out for Harry.

She smirked to herself; trauma bonding at its finest. Maybe they'd come out as friends after seeing what the other has been through.

Clarice returned to her chambers.

"How'd it go?" Severus asked her from the floor of the living room. He was playing trucks with Elio on the carpet.

"It was more informative than anything. Neither of them could block eachother." She said.

"You had them practice on eachother?" He asked shocked and she nodded while biting into a peach.

"Yeah, why? Am I not allowed to do that?" She asked.