Chapter Forty Four

"Where have you been running off to these last few nights?" Severus finally asked her one morning. Clarice had been leaving the chambers at midnight every night to spend time with her new found gift in the astronomy tower. She normally didn't return until about 3am or even 4am at times. 

She was so engrossed in uncovering memories from her loved ones and the fates of her friends. The only person she had been putting off was Severus, not wanting to know all of his secrets and where his fate lay. She wanted to pretend she had the rest of their lives ahead of them even though she had a feeling there was something... or someone that would put a damper into that dream. 

She looked up to the man that had asked her a question she wasn't sure if she wanted to tell the truth about. At least not yet that is. 

"I'll tell you later." She decided as she set down his cup of tea on the table and placed a peck on his cheek. 

"What was that for?" He asked while quirking an eyebrow. 

"Happy Birthday love," She smiled at him. 

"No need to remind me." He grumbled while placing the Daily Prophet on the table to pick up his cup of tea. It was just another day, they had to get ready for classes shortly so Clarice rummaged through her closet to find an outfit. 

"I have nothing to wear." She muttered. 

"You have more than fifty things you could wear in that enchanted closet of yours." She heard Severus say from behind her which caused her to jump. "Or... you could just simply... not wear anything."

Clarice blushed severely as he tickled her neck in light pecks. 

"Sev, come on. We're going to be late for breakfast." She said after finally picking out a gray dress and her yellow cloak. 

"No. Absolutely not. You are not wearing that dreadful cape on my birthday. It is my only wish." He groaned. Clarice rolled her eyes at the man and hung it back up. She decided on the forest green one that represented Slytherin colors. 

"Now that is more like it." He smiled at her before kissing her nose and leaving so she could get changed in peace. 

The pair made their way into the great hall, several staff and students wished the man a happy birthday, which only made him more cranky. Clarice spent her first half of the day with Sprout and Hagrid, but was honestly dreading her classes with Severus. He had been so cranky at lunch, she was positive he was going to be even worse in class. 

Deciding it would be best if she stopped in the kitchens for some coffee, she was surprised to see Albus in there.

"Clarice! I was hoping I would get away with sneaking a few sweets from here without being noticed. I have failed." He chuckled while popping a chocolate into his mouth.

"Albus... I've actually been meaning to speak with you..." She trailed off not wanting to be late to her class, but she also hadn't been able to speak privately with the headmaster since the holiday.

"What's troubling you my dear?" He asked while looking above his half moon spectacles.

"You actually." She paused as he lifted an eyebrow.

"I've been using your gift you gave me." She said and he sighed. Knowing what she had possibly seen and what was likely going to come out of her mouth next.

"Continue."

"Well... I guess I'll just say it. You're going to find a ring. Marvolo Gaunts ring... it carries the resurrection stone upon it." She spoke as she made her coffee and then another for Severus.