Chapter Fifty

It wasn't long before the couple had apparated their lives back to Hogwarts. They had decided to retreat to Clarice's quarters and make the best of their home away from home. She had created her quarters the way she liked it; bright, open, and full of light. The only thing different is that now there were baby toys littered across the floor, a playpen by the couch, and their book case now had a shelf dedicated to Elio.

They were met with welcome arms from all staff members as they reached the great hall for their first dinner of the new school year. Clarice laughed when she saw a high chair at the table for their son. 

"When the year is started, I don't think we'll be here for meals very often. I'm worried the noise might bother him." Clarice said as he fed him banana. 

"You could give him some earmuffs." Pomona chuckled from her other side. 

"I'll think about it." Clarice laughed as she spooned him another bite. 

"I'll miss having you help out." She said and Clarice heard Severus chuckle this time. 

"I think we all will." He said. 

"Well I'll still be around. If you need me to grade, you know I can't say no to either of you." She smiled. 

"What about me?" A familiar voice shouted over. 

"Oh Hagrid, of course." Her voice rang out cheerily. 

"When is Alastar arriving?" Minerva asked. 

"Supposedly tomorrow." Filius said. 

"Supposedly?" Clarice asked. 

"He's never on time." He responded. 

"Sound familiar?" Severus asked. 

"Oh shut it." She said back to him. 

The family hadn't planned much for their last night of freedom, but Clarice wasn't upset that she spent the rest of her evening reading childrens books to her son.

Severus had managed to conjure a childrens piano and Clarice laughed watching Elio try and play. His smile meant everything to her. 

Clarice sat down beside Severus on the couch with a cup of tea and leaned against him. 

"Penny for your thoughts?" He had asked her. She paused for a second before sighing. 

"I'm the luckiest woman alive." She smiled at him. "I couldn't have asked for a better life."

Severus kissed her forehead before looking to Elio still jamming away on his little piano. 

"How did I managed to win you over?" He whispered. 

"It wasn't hard."

"It took a little convincing." He spoke remembering their fights her first year teaching. 

"Yes." She giggled seeing those memories. "You're lucky I'm so forgiving."

"Classic Hufflepuff." He poked her ribs. 

"Who would've thought." She said.

"Hmm?"

"A Slytherin falling in love with the Puff."  She laughed. 

"And so the snake fell in love with the... badger?"

"Don't ever say that again." She bursted into a fit of laughter. 

"Mama play!" Elio pointed to his little piano and Clarice cocked her head. He amazed her everyday with his words and actions. 

"Of course darling." She got up from the couch, handing her teacup to Severus, and going over to her own piano and placing Elio beside her. Her hands hovered over the keys before she began playing Reverie by Debussy.