Chapter Seventy Three

"Sev? Are you ready?" Clarice called up the stairs after cleaning up Elio's toys. She had on a terribly boring black dress Severus had gotten her to blend in for the night. Unfortunately, she wasn't able to wear her usualy bright colors this night. She did try and dress it up a bit with an emerald belt and matching jewelry.

Elio was going to spend the night at grandmas and they were waiting for her to come pick him up. Severus came down wearing a black button down shirt with the sleeves rolled up slightly showing his dark mark. Black slacks with a black belt and obviously black shoes mirrored his shirt.

"We look like we're going to a funeral." Clarice frowned.

"If I'm lucky it'll be mine."

"Oh shut up."

Aggie came and went and didn't stick around for chit chat like she usually did. Something about the pair going to a Deatheater dinner did not sit right with her and she made that very clear to Clarice before leaving.

"Shall we?" Severus held his arm out and apparated the pair to the gates of a manor. Clarice thought it looked gloomy and gray but kept her comments to herself.

"Severus, how wonderful of you to make it." The woman greeted him and smiled when she saw Clarice.

"Thank you for having us. Narcissa this is my wife, Clarice." Severus introduced them formally for the first time.

"Pleasure," Clarice smiled and shook her hand.

"Please, call me Cissy."

"Claire," She replied. Lucius had gotten up from his spot in the family room to make an entrance.

"About time." He shook Severus' hand and awkwardly side hugged Clarice.

Clarice felt nauseous and had no idea why she even suggested doing this in the first place, but quickly remembered when she saw Draco come down the stairs.

"Professors." He copied his fathers handshake, but gave Clarice a real hug instead of a lousy side hug.

"Shall we have some drinks?" Narcissa asked before summoning their house elf. Clarice only asked for wine and the men had their Firewhiskey. Draco sipped on a soda as the sat in family room.

"Claire, Draco tells me you have many pets?" Narcissa asked out of curiosity.

"Oh yes, many creatures. We've got our hands full this summer. The students help out so much during the school year I don't need to worry too much about them... Now that school is out... well between Elio and the creatures it's been rough." She spoke.

"Oh that's right! How is your boy?"

"Sassy as ever." Severus replied.

"Well I wonder where he gets that from." Draco said. It made them chuckle.

"If you don't mind my asking, where do you acquire such creatures?" Lucius asked.

"I used to travel the world rescuing them prior to teaching." She answered.

"You were a Magizooligist?" He asked almost like he was trying to belittle her.

"Well not exactly. I traveled with my family and went to different schools over the world until I graduated. Then I just worked with my mom. She's the magizooligist." Clarice spilled without realizing what she had started.

"So you're family is pureblood?" He asked.

Lie, She heard Severus' thoughts.

"Yes. We are." She lied.

"I didn't think I recognized the last name Bates anywhere."

"Well like I said, we traveled so much we never did things the traditional way. Some would say we were nomads." She said.

"Interesting," He kept his eyes on her own and neither of them dared to look away. Clarice would win this staring contest. Luckily, Narcissa reached out to touch Lucius' hand and that's when he broke the stare.

"Miss Bates, I would like to help take care of your creatures if you need it." Draco piped up while looking nervous. He briefly looked to see his fathers expression.

"That would be lovely." Clarice smiled.

"He doesn't need to work." Lucius said stiffly.

"I think it would be a nice experience for him honey." Narcissa said.

"I wasn't looking for money." Draco said.

"How about this." Clarice started. "I'll sign off on your volunteer hours for fifth year while you help me out and maybe I'll slide a few galleons under the table for you."

"Really?" Draco cheered up.

"I think it would be a good first job for you." Severus spoke. "You could stay with us on weekends."

"Perhaps Draco could stay a little longer." Lucius suggested. "I have a few missions I need to take care of and it would be... distracting for him to be here during that."

Clarice tried to enter the mans mind. Missions as in... trying to return the Dark Lord and finding more followers.

"We'd love to have him." She said perhaps a little too eager. Draco didn't need to be seeing that kind of stuff just yet.

"I believe dinner is almost ready." Narcissa stood up.

"Can I help with anything?" Clarice asked.

"I can manage, but thank you." She replied. The four of them sat quietly waiting for someone to speak up.

"So Severus," Lucius started.

"Lucius, I don't believe now is this time to discuss this." Severus replied wearily looking to Draco.

"It's the perfect time to discuss. Cissy won't agree with this and she is no longer in here so..." Lucius held his hand out to her empty seat.

"What is it?" Draco asked not understanding what was going on.

"Draco, I think it's time we discuss your future." His father said.

"What about it? I think I want to work for the ministry. Like you." He said. "I'm working really hard in all of my classes."

"No. Not that. I mean you joining us as a Deatheater." Lucius said and peeked to see Clarice's reaction. She stayed still with no emotion.

"Oh right. Sure." Draco said trying to sound excited, but couldn't hide the disappointment.

"I can't have a son who doesn't serve." Lucius squinted at his son.

"I know Father. I will."

"Good. Now Clarice..." Lucius turned to her.

"Dinner is ready," Narcissa came in. Clarice quickly stood up and followed her, relieved she missed out on whatever Lucius was about to say.

He's going to ask what your intentions are. She heard from Severus.

What do I say?

Lie.