chapter 42

"Archie is a murderer." Sheriff Minetta says in class a couple of days after we sprung Archie out of juvie. "And we know he didn't escape alone, he had help." He continues, glancing at all of us. "Hiding a convict or withholding information from the law is a felony offense." He states, trying to get someone to say something. Mayor Lodge and Principal Weatherbe are also here, trying to see if we know anything. "So whosever aided and abetted Archie Andrews is just as much of a criminal as he is." He states making me cover up a snort as he looks at Reggie, stopping at his desk.

"I was busy all day Sheriff," Reggie says leaning on the desk. "You can check my browser history if you know what I mean." He says making the boys in the room chuckle and the girl's gag.

"Wow you're such a catch, how could I ever let you go?" I ask sarcastically making a couple of others laugh and then Miss Farmy herself speaks up.

"I don't even know this Archie person," Evelynn says making people look at her. "And on Mondays, I host a group for teen farmies." She adds making me roll my eyes and share a look with SweetPea. "We are still accepting members." She puts out making me roll my eyes again and Sheriff Minetta looks at me.

"Where were you, Miss Jones?" Sheriff Minetta asks, leaning over my desk in the front row. I put on my professional smile.

"Well it was a Monday so I had some work to do as Student Council President with Principal Weatherbe after school then I had a shift at Pops sir," I say politely. "Then I went home and spent the night sleeping, after having worked 30 hours between school and my job. I even posted on Instagram a picture of my room at 10:30 with a time stamp." I finish smugly making me internally laugh at the way his face drops. 

"Where were you Miss McCoy at the time of the breakout?" He asks making me internally panic, Josie cannot lie to save her life. She glances at Reggie and I notice her moves are slower than usual.

"Don't look at me, sir." She says, eyes fluttering. "I uh-I was in the music room." She stutters out and I shift my eyes, over to Sheriff Minetta who looked gleeful. "Practicing." She finishes.

"Alone?" He asks. "I'll be looking into all of your alibis, and if I found out later that someone in here was involved." HE starts glancing over the room, settling on Josie. "Then you can say goodbye to this school, your hopes, your dreams, your music, and your entire future." He threatens as Josie is visibly shaking but not in a nervous way. "All of it goes away just like that." He says before going away from her desk. "If any of you know anything.." He starts to say but is cut off by Cheryl yelling at him as Josie starts having a seizure. 

"Sheriff Minetta back off!" She yells, glaring at him. Josie stops seizing then starts again before landing in Cheryl's arms passed out. The whole room goes into an emergency mode with people asking questions and I look at SweetPea concerned as Betty is eyeing Evelynn Evernever. Class is quickly dismissed, and an ambulance comes to take Josie away.