Chapter 8

Cheryl texts me that she wants me to go to her house with Veronica tonight for a sleepover before the memorial. I get up and pack quickly and I text Ronnie to pick me up at the border. She texts back that its fine and she'll be here in an hour. I look in my closet and try to find something that is appropriate for the blossoms. I see the skirt that Jason got me for my birthday two years ago and I put it on with a simple black t-shirt. I put a sweater over it and then I quickly do my makeup and hair. I grab my bag and start walking towards the boarder. I get about two houses down from mine when I hear someone call me by my middle name. 

"Yo Liberty!" Sweets says. I turn around Sheepishly. 

"Hey Sweets.. whats up?" I say hoping that he won't mention the fact that I was walking without someone which is against dad's orders. 

"Why don't you have someone with you ?" He asks. Damn It. He caught me. 

"Well.. I have to get to the border to meet my friend Ronnie so we can go to the Blossoms.. I didn't want to bother dad." I say sheepishly. I smile at him and he gives me a stern stare.

"Alright; I'm walking you. Let's go." He says to me. I look at him.

"You don't have to.." I start to say.

"No but the fact that the ghoulies will eat you alive.. which would be your second interaction with them.. you need me to." He says to me. I nod as we start to walk to the border. 

"So why are you going to the Blossom house?" He asks me. I sigh and play with my bracelet. 

"Well; basically I was best friends with Jason and Cheryl but when Jason died.. I sort of lost myself and blocked everyone out; including Cheryl. Cheryl got really mad at me but we sort of are friends again and she needs me because this wake is going to be hard for her." I explain; choking up about Jason. 

"I'm so sorry for your loss Liberty. You and Jason were very close I'm assuming; you mentioned you were best friends." He says to me. 

"Yeah, Jason had been my friend since childhood; we met during Elementary school. He's a year older but he basically saved me on the playground from Reggie. Reggie would pull on my braids and make fun of my plaid shirts." I say.

"Reggie's your boyfriend right?" Pea asks. I nod. "Interesting." he says smiling.

"Well; here we are." I say. "thank you Pea.." I say.

"You're welcome; and I wont tell FP about you trying to walk on your own." He says. I smile at him.

I run over to Ronnie's car. I knock on the window and she opens the door.

"Hey Mads."  She says as I get in the car. 

"Hey Ronnie.. You ready for the sleep over at the blossoms?" I ask as we drive there. She nods.

"I just wanna be there for Cheryl since she is going through so much in her life. She needs people by her side." Veronica says as she drives to ThornHill.

"Yeah; I feel bad after Jason passed; I shut her out." I say to her while looking down at the bracelet. 

"What even happened?" Veronica says. I sigh and take a deep breath.

"Well the day before Jason and Cheryl took the boat ride.. I went over to their house. They were both acting weird. Jason gave me his old Riverdale High Sweatshirt claiming it was for my protection before school. Jason and I shared a hug before he drove me home. He told me that he proposed to Polly and I was so happy for him. They were perfect." I say taking a breath. "I got out of the car and said 'Let's hangout next week JJ-we can go down to our spot!' and he responded with a 'Okay, I'll text you.'Then we said I love you to each other and he drove away." I say tears prickling my eyes.