Prologue

4 years ago

Maya

Everyone has a story to tell and it starts right from the person's birth. It comes with a few expectations and a new world to discover with those bright round crystal eyeballs.

They get a remarkable life with a whole lot of opportunities and live a wondrous life with no regrets, no pain.

Hah! That's a fantasy! You didn't really believe that, right?

But what makes this beautiful fantasy into dark reality? We, the strange humans. We are of two categories- ones who are deceived and the ones who deceive others.

I kept staring at the floor with tear-pooled eyes. "I have told you a hundred times that acting is not a perfect nine to five job. Moreover, I can't let you act after all that has happened," my mother, Ratna Padwal cried out from the kitchen. If it was any other time maybe, I would have fought for my opinion. But now I don't have the strength.

My father, Suraj Padwal came to me with a concerned look in his eyes, asking me, "You are our only daughter and we want you to live a happy and healthy life." He always considers my choice the first but this time he wanted me to listen to them and make my decision.

I didn't know what to say, I felt weak. A strange silence filled up the atmosphere until my mom came from the kitchen to the living area, where I and dad were sitting. She said, "We were never against your choices but this time you should consider our opinions too."

Yeah, they did everything for me. They were the best parents who always loved me, cared for me and looked after me like a princess. They are worried thinking that I will fall and hurt myself in this harsh world.

I wanted to scream and voice my opinions but ended up agreeing to their decision and assuring them that they don't need to worry anymore. I was on the verge of breaking down.

My inner voice yelled at me to fight for my dreams yet I didn't tell anything more, I didn't know how to express myself. Just then a tall, slim figure approached me. His deep dark brown eyes were looking at me with a smile- the smile which never failed to make me happy.

He is Pranav, my miraculous brother, the one whom I admire the most. He was my neighbour earlier. He lost his parents in a car accident when he was only eight. He had very distant relatives who didn't care about anything. Being close friends and neighbours, my parents took care of both of us.

He is two years older than me. I had seen him cry all night and lock himself in his room. He didn't want to talk to anyone and wished to be left alone. But then, how could I leave him alone in that condition? I stayed with him and talked with him even though he pushed me away many times.

They say, "Time heals everything." Slowly, we became closer and spent more time talking and playing with each other. We were the protective shell for each other.

"Maya, I need to talk to you," he said. We were about to leave the room as he took my hands in his. He takes me to his room and makes me sit down asking the question that I have been hearing a lot recently. "What have you planned about your career?"

"I will quit acting and get a job as a reporter. What else?" As I was saying this, my heart was aching yet I knew this was what I have to do.

"If you want, I can talk to them. Tell me." I can tell how he was trying to say that just to keep my heart. Deep inside, he believes their decision was right. I know it. I can feel it.

"No, I have decided to quit. That day, I understood who are the ones who really love and care for me. I made all of you worry a lot. Dad, mom and you are my only family. I can't upset you all anymore," I said.

Tears were welling up as I slowly got up and went to my room. My leg that got injured wasn't aching as bad as my heart. I pulled out the keys and went towards the cupboard. My hands were shaking as I found my costumes for my theatre acting and awards, which I received during these years. All the memories flashed of how I achieved all these and all of a sudden, how my dreams got their tragic ending.

I bit my lower lips to control my sobs and finally locked the cupboard with a heavy heart. My legs got weak and I couldn't stand anymore. Just then I felt a hand on my shoulder as if giving me the strength to bear it. I didn't have to look up because I knew it was Pranav. He said, "Maya, whatever you choose, I will always be there by your side."

Unable to control my tears anymore, I started crying, covering my face with my palm. Pranav pulled me from the side and hugged me while I kept crying.

Suddenly I heard my phone vibrating loudly on the bed. Slowly, composing myself I reached for it with trembling hands and blurred vision. I wiped out the tears to look at the screen. Akash.

The name that used to mean so much to me turned out to be the name that deserted everything for me. I slid to refuse the call and pushed it on the bed. Burying my face in Pranav's arms, I let the tears roll down.

I lost my dreams; the ones which I had built with years of hard work and practice. With tears flowing down my cheeks, I make a promise to keep going for the sake of my family and live a life they want me to live.

I was just another who got deceived by a strange human in this world- reality.

____________

Please vote and comment.