3 - Unexpected Encounter

Maya 

The interview ended after an hour. 

Ajay went out of the hall with the director and his guards around him. I went over to the manager, as he said he will inform me about the appointment for the exclusive interview. 

He led me and Prakash to a cabin and said, "Sir will arrive just now. He himself would like to talk to you. You can wait here till then." 

" Okay, fine. We will wait," I replied with a wide smile. I swear I felt something strange right there. A huge star is willing to meet me, probably nothing comparable to him.

After waiting for a long time, he finally arrives. There he was standing in front of me with his charming looks and apologising for being late, " Sorry for making you wait. I had some important work to complete. " 

" It's okay sir, no problem. We wished to take an exclusive interview with you. We will be glad if you could give us a few minutes from your busy schedule." I thought that it would convince him but what came from him was something I never expected. 

He was looking at me like he was observing something and then finally he asked me," Is your name, Maya Padwal?" 

" Y-Yeah," I said, stammering at my words. His intense gaze was making me nervous. 

He glanced at me and slightly bent over the table. " Maya, did you not recognize me?" 

I gulped and looked at him. What is he trying to say? I know he feels familiar but I doubt I have seen—

Suddenly, my eyes went wide and my lips fell apart in shock. I stood up from the chair and gasped as realisation hit me. " A-Ajay, you- " 

He was the same Ajay, my desk buddy and neighbour. My mom's favourite and my enemy was standing in front of me. 

I was shocked, would be an understatement. I was dumbfounded. I was out of words to say anything and maybe, also out of my mind for which, I didn't realise that we were not the only ones in the cabin. Ajay's manager, his PA and Prakash were staring at us with eyes widened. They had no idea what was going on. 

To be honest, even I was clueless. 

Never had I expected to meet him in this way. 

" I think you recognised me now, didn't you?" He asked me after a long silence.

" Are you… the same Ajay? " I asked with a very small amount of hope, half expecting him to tell me otherwise and all of it to turn out as only a nightmarish dream.

" Yes, any doubt?" With this, all my hopes died. My only wish was to crawl down the earth. I looked up and saw him grinning at me. It seems like a lot of entertainment for him. 

"What were you saying when I arrived? Oh… yeah, exclusive interview. Right? Okay, now that you were my mate, I should help you. I will give an exclusive interview to you…" 

I was glaring at him while Prakash was the most enthusiastic person in the room. "...but, I have a condition. " 

" What condition sir? " Prakash asked. 

" I want her to do as I say," he said, turning towards me. I breathed hard and was getting ready to give him a perfect retort. Just then, Prakash agreed to him and told him that I would do whatever he wants. 

My lips parted and before I could say anything, Ajay said,'' Perfect. I didn't expect you to agree so fast. Great. Today, I am quite engaged with work. Tomorrow is okay. Let's do it then." 

" I won't come," I firmly replied. 

" Tomorrow at 11 am." 

" I won't come, " I shouted at him. He was about to leave the cabin. Looking over his shoulders, he replied, " Don't expect me to wait for you." After saying that, he left the cabin with his manager and guards.