22- Clearing Stage 1

Maya

It was so embarrassing that I wanted to bury myself but somehow I gained the courage to text him. Now that I think about it, this is the first time I have texted him first.

I covered myself up with a quilt and scrolled through the news. I agreed to the PR couple thing but I am still so confused. This is the last thing I ever wanted but now I have no other choice. I have to do it; to make my debut film a success; to mark my name and take off all the trash words tagged along my name.

It is funny how one can go to lengths just to keep themselves and their family safe. But I don't think it is as selfish as a few may think. Everyone tries to build up a shell around themselves and their family to protect them. I was doing the same.

I scrolled through the news from different channels and websites. The dating rumors, and the cast announcement all made the majority section of the news under my name. Somewhere deep inside those piles of news, I got the 'exclusive' interview with Ajay that I had taken.

I sighed and buried my head under the pillow when my phone vibrated in my hand. I smiled at the display name.

" Hello, Dad. How are you doing?"

" Maya, this is what I need to ask you. Pranav told me everything. You needn't do that." His voice as usual sounded worried.

I took a deep breath in as I realized I couldn't hide anything more from them. "How long did you plan to keep it a secret? Beti, we know you have always wanted to try acting and I support you but... still I am afraid. Would you be able to go through this when there is so many stuff happening around you? You know this isn't easy. And I heard you are leaving your job. Are you...alright?"

" I am, Dad and I will manage it all. Please don't worry." My lips quivered and I felt myself breaking down. I didn't imagine everything would turn out this messed up.

My boss had been asking me to open up the dirty secrets about Ajay or even cook up a make-believe story after the news of our dating went viral.

In any case, I can never ruin someone's name like this even if it is my biggest enemy. I would never be able to forgive myself. In the end, I had only one option under my sleeves- Quit.

" Dad, I will clear the family name from the rumors. It won't hurt the family's reputation any more. Good night Dad and trust me this once, please." My eyes were full of tears but I kept myself steady, trying not to get broken so easily. I need to keep my family safe from those paps.

" I am not worried about those news people and I trust you but what about you? Are you sure about acting? You know your mom won't like this idea. You know what happened last time. We don't want to see you hurt. You are important to us." He was speaking in a hushed voice.

" I want to do this, Dad. I don't want to live like this, not anymore. 3 years in this city and I couldn't do anything for you and mom. Now I can. I will not disappoint you, Dad." I took a sharp breath and could feel the tension in the air. " By the way, why are talking in a hushed voice? Are you trying to hide from mom?" I asked, humorously.

" W... Why would I? I was just...," He stuttered, trying to form his words and after a brief silence, he sighed." Yeah, I am hiding on the balcony. She is checking her papers in the dining and seems to be in a very bad mood. I wouldn't want to face her right now. Looks like someone wrote their birthday in place of Akbar's. I feel like a student at times like this." I chuckled at his voice filled with grief.

Her being a teacher at the primary school, me and my dad experienced all kinds of situations like this which happened after the midterm and final exams. After a lot of analysis, we concluded to lock ourselves during that moment when my mom would burst into anger.