11- A mission to play

Maya

The car paced silently down the forlorn street. The slow music in the car gave the 90s vibe. I glanced at Ajay who had this weird unreadable face. I raised an eyebrow to observe any change in his expression but he didn't bother to look at me; his eyes fixed on the road.

I stared back at the gift box in my hands. It was a crystal white hanging piece with a heart carved in it. 

As the shopkeeper mentioned, there is a myth that whoever finds the hidden message in it first, is supposed to be your future spouse. Even though I don't believe such myths, I am not completely invisible to these things.

The strange part is the sudden change in Ajay's behaviour. I can't make out what is wrong with him. Well, it was none of my concern but still, the drop-dead silence was uncomfortable enough.

Unable to bear the awkwardness, I break the silence. " Do you have car sickness or something?" 

It was a random question and maybe that caught him off guard as he looked perplexed and answered, " No… Why would you ask that?" 

" Nothing. Just that you are acting weird." I could easily say that it somehow relates to the gift but I couldn't figure out the reason. 

" Oh… no, nothing like that," he said, smiling widely to make me believe that he was being quite normal. I decided to give up and stare at the road from the car window. Silence takes over us again. 

" You believe in myths?" He said, suddenly. 

" Ah… yeah and Nah," I said, unable to find a clear answer to it. I was among those who finds this unscientific but still falls into it's trap willingly. Sounds weird, I know.

" Aren't you scared or something?" He asked, out of the blue. 

" Wh...why are you asking that?" I stuttered, finding it difficult to make anything out of his absurd question.

He sighed and took a breath in and he said, "You know this can be dangerous. You almost got yourself kidnapped." His voice sounded… guilty or something. 

I stared at his face for a good twenty seconds to check if he is suffering from short-term amnesia. " Do I need to remind you that it was you who caused it? Anyways, coming to the point, you have gone MAD. Get a check-up." 

" I am serious. Answer me," he replied in a very intense tone.

" God, seriously?! Fine, I am well-equipped so when I feel something is going damn wrong then trust me I can always use my ultimate weapon." I keep my hands in a Taekwondo posture, guarding my chest. 

He didn't look as amused as I had anticipated, instead, he just nodded and kept driving.

He is always the weird one. Better to think about the party and be happy. Soon we will reach there and I will hand this present to Ishaan. I don't know whether he will like it or not but at least he will praise the efforts and emotions. Relax Maya. This is gonna be a long night. 

★★★

Ajay

This is such a long night. It feels as if I am driving for a century.  

I don't even know why I asked her those questions. Maybe, that myth thing is driving me completely crazy.

The hidden message pops into my mind every now and then, making my mind go blank. 

Me and you—forever.

I squeeze my eyes shut for a second before focusing back on the road. I couldn't think straight as those words kept popping into my brain. Why did I have to see that?