1 - New Start

Maya

I felt a sudden excitement as my car slowed down in the tracks. The lights flashed as I turned towards the road. All the cameras were taking random snaps.

"We love you, ma'am. You are our inspiration." 

"You made me fall in love with movies. Big fan, ma'am." 

With the people screaming in excitement all around, I got down from my gray luxurious car, holding the end of the white pearl embedded long gown. A few reporters came running towards me but were blocked by my three bodyguards standing beside me. I smiled at the photographers and went inside the award function shortly after waving them a bye. When I was finally about to step inside the huge hall decorated with lights and flowers all around, the guards stopped me. 

I tried explaining them but they won't let me in. A sudden sound interrupted out of nowhere. With every passing second, the sound grew louder and louder, snapping me back to reality.

I jerked and fell from my bed with a thud at the sound of the alarm. Ouch. My back hurts. 

I got up on the bed and tugged inside the blanket. Reaching for the alarm clock, I tapped the snooze button and went off to sleep again but anyhow there was no way I could escape that irritating sound of the alarm. I wanted to break it into pieces because of that irritating sound. Controlling my temper, I woke up and got ready to go to work. 

If you are still not aware of it, I am not a celebrity, in fact not even close to it. I work at 'Spotlight Horizon' as a reporter. I live a comfortable life with my friend, Ayushi in a rented flat, and with a so-called 'stable job' as my parents wished for. 

Suddenly, I found my phone ringing. The name 'Pranav' flashed on the screen. He had been in London for the past three years to complete his law course. He is working under a well-known lawyer in London. 

I quickly picked it up to answer the call. "Hello Maya, Got up already?" Pranav said.

"Yeah." 

"I am sorry Maya, I wish I could be there with you. Can you manage these things alone?" I don't know why he always blames himself for every little thing. I know I miss him and want him by my side but it's not always possible. I felt a surge of sadness which I immediately shrugged off.

"What's the big deal? I am 24 and can take care of myself. Just finish your work and come here. I am waiting," I said. 

"Don't miss me too much." He chuckled.

We had a good chat and after a few minutes, we ended the call. 

A familiar voice called to me, "Maya, come fast, we will get late again." The voice belonged to Ayushi, my flatmate. I first met her during college, and since then we became best friends. 

We quickly had our breakfast and took the bus to our office. We both hurried up the stairs, after finding the signboard of 'WORK IN PROGRESS' in front of the elevator. Of course, my luck is worth appreciating, isn't it? 

When we reached the office, our boss was already there, standing and staring at us with an angry and tired look as if trying to say, 'You both, again!' 

I and Ayushi exchanged glances and looked down at the floor without daring to look at him. "You both come to my cabin," he said and darted away to his cabin. Sighing heavily, we went into his cabin. I felt nervous, although it was not the first time he has called us into his cabin. He was looking into a few files when he said, "Come in," with a stern voice. 

"Do you even know how many days you were late this week? Sign the resignation letter and leave immediately. I am firing you both." 

"No sir, we will do our best from now on. Sir, don't do this," we both pleaded to him. We already know that we were late four days this week. Being rookie reporters, we can't afford to be late for four consecutive days. If it was any other company, I am sure we wouldn't have lasted this long. 

"You can't do this, sir," Ayushi shouts, making me as well as our boss jump out of fear. My eyes went wide, thinking of what she is attempting to do. 

"W...Why can't I? Do I have to listen to you before firing you," he stutters, explaining his shock at how Ayushi reacted to him.

"Yes, you should listen to us. When you will know what we have done, you will surely praise us," Ayushi slowly moved close to our boss's desk and dropped her hand at his desk with a loud bang. 

I didn't get what she was going to do. I moved a bit closer attempting to hear the conversation when I heard her say, "I have researched about the rising, popular star, Ajay Sharma, whose new movie is going to release. The trailer of the film just dropped yesterday and created history with 25 million views in just 22 hours. Sir, just imagine, if we can schedule an interview with him, how profitable it would be for our channel!" 

Ajay Sharma … I knew only one Ajay Sharma in my life, who was my deskmate and neighbour when I was in primary school. Even his name makes me sick. Just the thought that the world must be carrying the weight of this useless piece makes me want to throw up. 

But since I have nothing more to do with him, it's none of my concern if something is wrong with his mental state which I am sure it is but leave, let's not talk about that unless I want to ruin my mood any further.

I felt so bad that I didn't know any actor with this name although I love movies. The next second, I changed my opinion and thought, Isn't it obvious because I haven't kept myself in touch with the movies for a long time now? 

I was so absorbed in my world that I hardly noticed when Ayushi called me. 

"Maya will do it," Ayushi said to the boss. Both Ayushi and our boss were looking at me. Feeling the urge to say something, I responded, "I will do it, sir." I immediately regretted telling him that. 

Boss looked contended and with a little excitement in his voice, he said, "Go and take his interview then. First of all, take his appointment and meet him. He is a rising star which means, many journalists will want his interview. An exclusive interview will be beneficial for our channel," getting up from his chair he further says, "I hope you can do it. If you can't, forget about your job."

We both assured him that we will get his interview, even though I felt quite uneasy. I made up my mind that I have to do it to save my job. Well, I didn't know then that this interview won't go easy.

~•~

Please like and comment.