27- You make me worried

Ajay

My eyes wavered at Maya's petrified face. I never saw her this scared and partially shaking in fear.

I turned to look at Ishaan who took a deep breath and frowned, leaving in a hurry before we could take any action. I could see the annoyed and displeased look on his mother's face which she soon masked by a calm smile. The traits of being an actor.

" Ma'am, I know I shouldn't speak here but I need to. It was okay till you looked down on me as someone trying to take advantage of his money and position. But shouldn't you at least let me speak? Today is his birthday-," Maya spoke, grabbing the whole room's attention.

" So now you are agreeing that you are one. I have seen a lot of people like you. You are absolutely nowhere compared to us. This is about the prestige of the Kapoor family. Act like the outsider you are. Are you not happy after ruining the party?" The venom dripped from her every single word, glorifying her authority over the air in the room.

This was the very reason why Ishaan can't get along with his mother. I and Sarah could never speak in front of her. She even criticised me for being an outsider but after my name made headlines with praises, I didn't have to face that criticism.

I always took in their hate and discrimination for a lot of reasons but today, I felt disgusted by her words.

" I am sorry... for ruining the party. Excuse me."

Maya lowered her head and soon left the room with tear-pooled eyes. I stood frozen on my spot, can't comprehend what just happened in front of my eyes.

" Aunty, Maya is not that type of a girl. She is truly nice and talented. She belongs to us. Our industry. Just like me and Ajay," Sarah raised her voice.

" Ajay has got everything with his ability but what about this girl? She is just another type of Priya. I am okay till she keeps herself away from Ishaan and you too, my child, don't stay around her," she said looking at Sarah who turned away her face. Her voice sounded too sweet which made me more furious.

I looked up, gritting my teeth to control my anger and let out hollow laughter. "Ma'am, I have always respected you but I don't think I can do it any longer; not after this. Whatever she is, she isn't a gold digger... and I am not sorry that I couldn't keep quiet this time."

I turned around and left the room.

I closed my eyes and pressed my temples. Did I just say that to Alisha ma'am?

" What did you just do, Ajay?" Sarah asked as she shook my arms.

" Yeah, you know what I did. Whatever. I didn't like the way she spoke about Maya. She isn't like that. Why would I keep hearing that nonsense?" I frowned thinking about what Alisha ma'am said to her.

" I am telling you that it was so cool. I am impressed. Sure enough, Maya will be glad about it," she slapped my elbow. "...But I never expected that from you."

" Me neither," I muttered softly, doubting myself.

" But where to find them now?" I asked, nervously, remembering the terror on her face and tear-filled eyes. And also Ishaan left in anger just taking his jacket along with him.

She bit her lips and dialled his number, "Switched off? But why-?" She tried again but had no luck. I tried Maya's number and this time she was just refusing my calls.

" She is just hanging it up," I pressed the dial button for the fifth time now but she just declined it.

" Let me try it. Maybe she is just doing that seeing your number," Sarah said.