14- Looking after you

Ajay

Should I just go there? No, leave. She must have reached home, right? Goddamnit! Why am I even worrying? She is old enough to reach home by herself.

I was debating with myself whether to go to her place or just go to bed and sleep. After thinking for a long period, I came to the conclusion of going back to her place. Getting in the car, I took a U-turn to her place.

After passing through the somewhat-busy road, I finally reached the destination. 

Do I need to look after her? Why the hell am I doing this? 

I got down from the car and looked up at the building. The Parvati Building now only had 'Parvat' left with the 'I' hanging from the top. 

I could only see a flickering light from the balcony of her flat and a dark figure standing. When I went a little closer, I got a blurred sight of the figure who looked like Maya. 

So she reached home. But why is she standing on the balcony? Maybe I should text her.

Are you finally home? Or roaming about on streets like monkeys? 

After writing a text she would definitely find believable (at least from her perspective), I stared at the figure closely to notice some shifting as if pulling out something.

If anyone would have seen me like this, they would have thought I was eve-teasing a girl but seriously I have no other option when it comes to dealing with this childish and stubborn girl.

After a while, I got a message.

Why are you so interested in me? Do your work. Or do you have nothing better to do right now? 

No wonder. Her sharp reply. 

It was confirmed that the figure belonged to Maya. Sighing and cursing myself for coming all the way here, I got inside the car. After glancing at her figure on the balcony, I drove away to my flat.

★★★

" Sahib, can I come in?" Siraj, my driver and helping hand knocked on the door.

" Of course. " I looked up from the book I had been reading for the past two days. 

" I found a box in your car, Sahib." My eyes widened to see the gift-wrapped box in his hands. I was instantly reminded of Maya. She wanted to give this to Ishaan but maybe left it behind. 

" Thank you. Give this to me. You can leave." Taking the box, I pondered upon the myth the shopkeeper told us and recalled the carved words, making me uncomfortable once again. Keeping that away, I took the book to read. 

"I wish to live with you. No one will be there. Only me and you- forever. "

I stood up straight, shocked and startled as if I had seen a ghost. I then realised that I had been thinking about Maya, the words carved in her gift and above all the myth. 

Wow. When did I start believing in such things? Calm down, Ajay. You were a science student. Stop overthinking. Stop overthinking. 

Taking deep breaths, I opened the book again. 

" A myth is a way of making sense in a senseless world."

I closed the book once again. This is not helping. 

Keeping the book aside, I went to the balcony to get some fresh air. After a while, I got a call from mom.

" Are you still up?" my mom asked from the other end.