51- Leave because it hurts

Author's POV

The night wrapped with a cold dark sky, the isolated streets and the branches of trees dancing in the wind, making noises as if out of some children's ghost story, all seemed to have blurred out of Maya's vision.

Slowly, she wiped her tears and moved aside when her eyes shifted towards the silhouette of the man she had been waiting for. 

She looked up, her heart beating like crazy. "Ajay." She uttered his name before running towards him. 

Her face cracked into a smile, hiding the pain that she was going through. But Ajay didn't look as happy. 

He glanced a peak at Ishaan who twitched his eyebrows looking back at him. A weird tension took over the gloomy environment. "Why are you here?" Ajay asked Ishaan, in an indifferent tone.

When Ishaan was about to reply, Maya interrupted him, "Ah… we met on the way and he dropped me here." She didn't want Ajay to know what exactly happened, fearing that he might be truly upset. Also, she didn't want to recall that terrible thing. 

"What about the event?" All the dreadful thoughts were rushing back to her when she bravely responded, "Oh, that ended fast. You weren't there so it wasn't even fun. But where were you all this time?" Maya asked him, rather smoothly, even though her heart beated loudly and she could feel her hands getting sweaty.

Ajay could see through her lie. He stared down before looking at Ishaan who was still standing beside her. "What is wrong? Didn't you drop her off already? Why aren't you leaving?" He gritted his teeth. He noticed the ring on his finger, clenching his fist.

"What's wrong with you, Ajay? Why are you talking like that?" Maya was genuinely confused at his changed behaviour.

"Are you taking his side right now?" 

"What?"

Ishaan placed a hand on Ajay's arm. "Ajay, you are reading too much into it. It's not like—" Before he could complete his sentence, Ajay shoved his hand away.

Maya viewed the scene with confusion and fear in her eyes. "Don't touch me," Ajay warned him, his eyes all red. 

Ajay looked at Maya. "Maya, can I ask you something? Why didn't you pick up my call? Were you that busy with him to pick it up?" 

Maya couldn't be any more confused but more than confused, she felt hurt. "What do you mean? Then, what about… when I called you?" Her eyes were asking questions. "Why didn't you respond? When I needed you most… why didn't you?" Her voice raised when she felt her tear-filled eyes.

"W…what? I was busy. I even called you back so you could've answered me. But sorry, I didn't know you were here with Ishaan." He noticed the bag in her hand. "What is that? Is it a gift from Ishaan?" He chuckled humourlessly.

"Ajay, listen to me—" The moment when Ishaan started to speak, Ajay raised his voice like never before, "Shut up!" 

He holds his collar and said, "I thought of you as a best friend but… how dare you?" He gritted his teeth, glaring at him.

Maya pushed both of them apart. "Stop it, please." She felt a lump in her throat. "Why are you doing this to me?" She looked at Ajay. Her voice weakened as it felt like a sharp knife pierced through her heart. 

After a silent pause, she spoke, taking a deep breath in. "Ajay, please listen to me, you are misunderstanding. I—" 

"Am I?" He cut off her in the middle. "Maya, I got a call from the producer. The event didn't end yet you lied to me. I even saw you both hugging and Ishaan giving you this 'gift' bag. Now, what should I believe? Tell me."