16- Past and Present

Maya

I sat in the Coffee Cafe waiting for him. My heartbeat raced with every single second passing by. I arrived earlier than the scheduled time. I gazed at the menu card but nothing went past my head because of my nervousness.

When I looked up from the card in my hand, I saw a man in his black jeans with a white and blue check shirt. I stood up in shock. Four years has changed him so much.

Soon, Akash noticed me when I reluctantly waved my hands. We both took our seats and the awkward silence filled the air. We had no idea where to start from.

Four years is a really long time.

" What would you like to have, sir?" A waiter asked Akash and looked at me when Akash turned towards me.

" One Cappuccino for me. You?" I asked Akash, hardly looking at him.

" Same for me too." His words triggered the memories of the good old days. I controlled my emotions.

It felt too much but still I was trying my best to not have a breakdown in public.

" Ok, sir." The waiter left and we were left alone in an awkward kind of situation.

" Maya, how are you?"

" What do you think?" My reply made his lips part for a second and he sighed a little later as if understanding the meaning behind my words.

" Akash, I want to know everything. Please tell me. Please. Whatever happened that day, I need to know. You need to tell me every single thing. " My eyes moistened though my face represented anger.

After a pause, he said, " Can you go back to the past once again and see everything without judging? Can you forget every alleged statement against me and think it fresh? Can you, Maya?"

His eyes had pain and suffering which were reflected in his words. My mind went blank and while gulping, I simply nodded.

" Can you believe in my words, once again, Maya?"

" I will," I shouted. Or at least I thought I had shouted but in reality, I hardly made those words out of my mouth.

" What if I say I wasn't involved in it in any way and everything was just a misunderstanding?" My eyes went wide. I looked at him and asked him to explain when he continued from the day of the programme.

" I was excited to perform in front of Rahul and Rajiv sir but more than that, I was excited to perform next to you as a partner. The next day when I went to the theatre, I met Priya and others. I was talking to them when I saw Shreya with sir. I was waiting for you but when I saw you were getting late, I approached Shreya. She didn't tell me the complete thing but somewhere I knew something bad happened.

" Then Priya came in and said that she will be the lead actress. I asked the sir and when I got to know that you are seriously injured. I told them to put someone else in my role and that I can't do this but sir requested me to perform with Priya because there was no other option left." I felt choked but still I kept listening to him. He took a deep breath.

He then continued," Priya and I were selected but I had no wish to perform anymore. I was already tense about you not picking up my calls. I tried to meet you even but with no luck. I just found out that Shreya got the whole thing wrong. I heard a few days later from sir that you had come to the theatre but you left... without meeting me." His last words faded as his eyes wavered.

" Your order, madam." I nodded at the waiter without looking up. Tears streamed down my cheeks. I wiped them off silently. You shouldn't cry in a public place. Stop Maya.