33- First times

Ajay 

Shit, I messed it up.

This was my first thought when I saw tears rolling down her eyes. I didn't know that the keyring was so meaningful for her. But even if I knew, I don't think it would have helped at that moment. Or maybe, I could have been more careful.

Before any of you think of me as a useless piece of man, let me get this clear. It wasn’t intentional. And no, I never pulled any kind of ‘revenge’ stunt.

But sometimes, people just think whatever they wish to think and being a part of the industry, for three years, I learned how people take ‘no’ as ‘yes’. And this is what I am afraid of right now when I am roaming around the keyring stalls. 

There are a lot of possibilities of Maya getting pissed on me. Firstly, because we only made up ten per cent yesterday ( I don’t even know if that is still applicable) and second, why would she believe her newly turned enemy-to-friend?

After a lot of searching, I found a blue round keyring with a little more texture than that one. It was beautiful but I wasn’t sure about buying it. What if she throws it away? Whatever, let me take this one.

I don’t want to see her crying because of me. I feel my world getting shattered just the way I felt that rainy night. You know, that feeling when you want someone to keep her beautiful smile and not a frown.

As I reached back and was about to ring the bell, her angry and hurt face flashed before my eyes. To be honest, I was genuinely scared. 

I knew at once that she wouldn't want to even get a glimpse of me. However much I wanted to see her and apologize to her face-to-face, this wasn't the time.

I ran inside my room next to hers and searched for my diary which was nowhere to be seen. God! Where the hell is that diary? 

At last, I tore a blank sheet from the magazine lying on the table and wrote down the words. 

"I am sorry, miss—" Yuck. So bad.

"I got a keyring to replace that—" Shit, what is wrong with me? 

After throwing off that rubbish paper in the dustbin, I took a deep breath, pouring down my thoughts in a few words. I read it twice and kept it out of her room along with the keyring. Ringing the doorbell, I rushed back into my room.

Peeking through the door, I found her looking around confused and then she picked up the keyring with a shocked expression. There was no other expression that shock as she got inside her room.

How will I know if she is mad or happy? 

It is my first time getting so anxious about something. A patient guy like me wouldn't walk around the room, frustratingly looking at the watch and her balcony from my room. An advantage of having the adjacent room to her.

Anyway, she never came out on the balcony so it was just useless of me acting like Raj from Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge.

I sighed and soon the doorbell rang. I opened the door with hopes of seeing Maya but it was, much to my disappointment, the room service guy. As he asked if I needed anything, an idea clashed my head. I wrote another note and asked him to pass it to the other room.

A while later, when he came back after delivering the message, I couldn't get rid of my racing heartbeats as he left after handing me a note and the diary. My almost-lost diary.

I opened the note. 

" Sorry for my behaviour earlier, I must've gone mad because it was really important for me—"