21- Fake it all the way

Ajay

" This won't work. How can you suggest such an idea? Too bad." I shook my head vigorously as I plopped down on the sofa. My manager, Amar and our director and producer were all sitting around the sofa in my previous house and what they just suggested to me made my head reel in annoyance. As if the hell I am doing that?!

" Why won't it work? This is a business strategy famous all over. Didn't you hear about PR couples?" Rajiv sir made his point. 

" PR couple strategy works well with the audience. Just show your relationship publicly and after the film, you both can go on your ways. And as far as the rumours are concerned, just ignore those for now. No need to deny or accept." Amar spoke out the facts to explain to me about the thing called, PR couple.

This is not an alien thing. It happens a lot in this film industry. For the sake of film promotions, they bring forward a make-believe love affair story between the leads. But when you have to do this with the girl you hate the most, this thing has a 0.1 per cent chance of actually working.

" We can call Maya and tell her about this," Rajiv sir said as he took a sip from his cup of black tea. While he was being casual the whole time, I noticed Ramesh sir sitting quietly, figuring out the best plan.

" I don't think this will do. I have never done such things. And this whole PR couple thing sounds cheap. I don't wanna create a fake relationship for the sake of a film," I said. I could feel the gazes of the men sitting around but that is not making me change my decision.

Acting for a few hours on set is not enough that I would want this trouble for twenty-four hours? Pathetic. 

" Let's call Maya and ask her," Ramesh sir said after a long silence—," This is a big-budget film and is very important as well. Our last film couldn't make a lot of money at the box office so we need to make this film a super hit." He looked at Rajiv sir who nodded, agreeing with him. 

Having no option of running away, I had to finally call Maya and ask her to come. 

" Yes, let her in," I said to the security guard over the intercom and a while later she was standing in front of us. She was wearing a white tee with blue jeans and covered her hair with a scarf. 

She tied her long hair with a ribbon and her face casually held a kind smile as she greeted everyone. Her eyes met mine and I realized I had been checking her out all this time. She gave an annoyed look before taking a seat on the chair kept beside the sofa. 

Her bag with the keyring jingled as she shifted in her position, making herself comfortable.

" Well Maya, we want to discuss something with you. We all know how your dating rumours with Ajay are spreading like wildfire. Media creates huge drama for a single thing and you are quite aware of this fact. Even the channel you work for is after this dating thing." 

I turned to look at her to see her fidgeting with the keyring as she gulped and kept staring at the floor. Ramesh sir continued, " I know you are having troubles due to this and I also know this is not quite easy for you. This film… is not only important for us but also both of you guys, especially Maya." He looked at us and we both nodded after giving a glance at each other.

" So Maya, we were thinking about a way to promote 30 days. We were considering a PR stunt as an option. What do you say?" As he finished, all the eyes turned towards her.

" PR stunt?" 

My manager and publicist who got excited all of a sudden filled her with all the plans. "Nothing much. You just have to fake that you both are in love. Just say things that show you both are dating. This way people will take a lot of interest in the film to see more about you both. The audience loves drama and that is exactly what we will give them," he casually stated.