46- Don't say Goodbye

Author's Pov

The shock was getting the best of her as she stood blinking at them. "What is happening here?" Maya asked, unaware of how to react.

Her senses were paralysed as she saw them giggling and having a lot of fun. Ajay stood at a corner, trying not to laugh as Lina pressed herself behind the wall, not sure of what to say.

It looked like everyone in the room knew about this except her. As she kept blinking blankly, Ayushi spoke, "Maya, I am his to-be-wife." She chuckled and coughed a little, seeing their deadly look of Maya.

"So, you all knew?" Maya asked, looking at Ajay.

"I... just got to know when they came in together. I swear." He pinched his neck, swearing as he moved away from her, sensing her rising temper.

Her eyes moved towards Lina who voluntarily replied, "I don't know... I just got to know from Bhaiya." She shook her head vigorously.

"So, everyone knew..." She uttered, disappointment dripping down her words.

"Maya, we were going to tell you-" Pranav started to explain when Maya cut him off.

"When? When were you going to tell me, huh?!" She screamed, chasing after him and Ayushi when they ran like a scaredy cats. The others stood stunned at the situation in the house.

As Maya ran after them, jumping and making her way through the furniture around the room, Pranav along with Ayushi dashed inside Maya's room. He locked the door after him, leaving her outside.

"Come out quickly, you brat." She yelled, banging on the door.

She paused for a minute, panting hard, trying to catch her breath. She stood silent to see what they did. Maya walked away from the door, hiding behind it.

Ayushi and Pranav relaxed a little when they didn't see Maya from the little hole on the door. Even if they were hesitant, Pranav opened the door slightly to check, heaving a sigh of relief.

"You-" Maya was about to yell yet again when her mother and father came inside. "What's going on here?" Her mother asked, seeing the mess.

Maya stopped in her tracks on seeing her parents. Ayushi and Pranav too stood apart, silent as ever like nothing happened but the whole messed up room spoke volumes of what mess had happened.

★★★

"...So you are going to see someone?" Ayushi spoke, her eyes looking at the coffee in her hand. She didn't look up, much like she didn't trust herself to look up in his eyes.

"Yes... I might end up marrying that girl." His words stung like a bee sting, hurting her so much more than she can ever think.

"Ah... really? Who... is it?" It was too difficult for her to handle Pranav speaking about seeing someone when she was actually preparing to propose to him that day.

All night, she had been thinking how she must plan to show her feelings yet this had to happen after she gathered all her courage to ask him out first. Her heart broke in shattered as she kept listening.

"I... I don't know." He stuttered. He really had no idea who the girl was nor did he try to know. He too liked Ayushi yet his feelings remain buried under so many layers of his heart. He didn't know what to say or what would be compelling enough, so he never even tried.

Ayushi was shocked and more angry as she blurted out, "So, you don't even have an idea and you said yes? You must be really proud of yourself. Have a great day! I wish you all the luck." She took out her anger on him and dashed inside the room. Tears rolled down her eyes as she recalled exactly why she loved him.