49- Do you remember?

Ajay

"Are you that happy?" When Shruti ma'am asked me, I didn't take a minute before nodding my head vigorously.

I was seriously so happy. I was finally meeting the love of my life again. 

"Happy birthday Ajay," she wished me, making me halt in my process of packing up my stuff. I now realized that we had selected today as the trailer launch day of our film, especially because of my birthday. 

"Thank you." 

She patted my back and said, "Enjoy your birthday." I knocked my head against the wall, cursing myself for being such a fool. Yesterday, after late-night reading, I got so tired that I didn't even notice when my eyes closed and I drifted into a deep sleep.

I ran to get my phone and switched it on. As soon as my phone turned on, I realized that over thousands of messages were dumped in my phone overnight. 

"Oh no! Maya!" I mumbled under my breath when I saw 34 messages and 30 missed calls. Soon enough, the blanket of fear and anxiety spread over me as I shivered in tension. 

"Ajay…" I could almost hear her voice from behind. When I turned cautiously to the voice calling me, soon, I faced the scary look of Maya.

"Ah…That scared me!" I screamed my lungs out, falling back on the bed. She stretched her arms as she was glaring at me, ready to beat me into a pulp.

"Ajay… Ajay?" I took a deep breath when I saw my manager standing in front of me.  

I was relieved but the shock that had got the better of me didn't leave so soon. I was still scared yet how could I look like a weakling chicken in front of my manager? 

"Oh, Amar, you are here." I stood up and started packing up like nothing happened. I pretended to be perfectly fine when I was actually hardly surviving because of the bad-functioning of my heart. It was banging against my chest so loudly that it felt as if it would come out of my throat. 

"What's wrong with you? Ah, you must have gone crazy on your birthday. Call up Maya. She was so worried that she even called me." Amar kept complaining and nagging me until he finally found his peace.

After he left, I called up Maya, preparing myself to get loads of complains and hear a lot of things from her. "Hey, Ajay. Where were you? Are you okay? Why won't you pick up my calls?" 

Her sudden screams felt as if it had the strength to damage his eardrums. "I am sorry. I actually fell asleep." 

She sighed from the other end. "Why is it… so hard to talk to you? Just come fast. I miss you." Her voice trailed off as she paused and spoke. 

"I am sorry. I miss you too, Maya." I didn't know what to say. I expected her to wish me a birthday but as I kept talking to her, it felt like she didn't remember. 

"Maya… do you remember what is today?" When I asked her this, I didn't know what was happening to my heart. I was nervous as if there was a knife in my heart. It's not like she had to remember it, just that I would have loved it if she remembered it at all.

"Today? Of course. Today is our trailer launch day and I will meet you too after so many days," Maya replied, happily. If only she knew how deeply my heart was getting wounded. It was as if a knife just pierced through my heart. 

"Yeah… so… be prepared." I smiled, half-heartedly. 

She is liable to forget things and its not like her head is good at remembering things so, it can happen. Also, I can't blame her when I myself almost forgot my birthday, can I?