Chapter 123

Daryl and I have been looking for Carol for half an hour. We went to rest for a little while she kept watch. Daryl making sure I drank water and he gave me an apple to eat that he had brought along. His overprotective-ness might annoy me beyond belief  but I loved that he always made sure we were okay. I knew he did because he cared and he loved me. That's just the kind of person he was. Even back at the quarry in the beginning I could see he was a good man. It was his brother who stopped him from being the man he is now back then. It was hard to believe it's been ten years since then. He was now 46 and I was 31. I think the age difference still bothers him but only slightly. He still has those days where he thinks he doesn't deserve me. But the truth is I don't deserve him.

"Hey," Daryl said as we saw Carol. "You all right? Where'd you go?" He asked her. "What?" She asked. "Carol, you've been gone for half an hour," I told her. "Uh... patrol. I thought I heard something," she said. We just looked at her. "I'm fine. This isn't your dad seeing a ghost," she said. I look up at Daryl only to see a confused look on his face. "What?" Daryl asked. "The story of the girl when your dad was a truck driver," she told him. "My dad wasn't a truck driver," Daryl told her. Before she could say anything the alarm she had set went off. She leaned down and picked it up. "Shifts up," Daryl said. She set the timer again and reached into her pocket to pull out the bottle of pills. "Come on. Don't take that," Daryl told her. She didn't listen and put the pill in her mouth.

"One more hour," she said. Daryl bit on his bottom lip not saying anything. "One hour," she said. "All right," he said. He reached for my hand and we walked back into the Cafe where we were. I stopped Daryl and looked up at him. "She's losing her sense of what's real and what isn't. Her lack of sleep is causing mood shifts but she's also hallucinating. It's clear she's losing track of time too. She hallucinated having a conversation with you. She might be just hallucinating the whisperers she saw too. She needs to sleep. Lack of sleep can cause much worse problems like heart disease, stroke," I said. He nodded his head and pulled me into him. "We'll help her when we get home," he said and kissed the top of my head. I wrapped my arms around his waist and laid my head on his chest.

When time was up Carol wasn't where we had left her. We got the rest of the group and went looking for her only to find her in the gym surrounded by dead walkers. "Carol," Daryl called for her. She was just standing there with her knife clutched in her hand. I walked up to her and Daryl followed, shining his light on her. I lifted her arm and saw a deep cut. I ripped my shirt and tied the piece around her arm to help slow the bleeding. "We need to get her back home," I said. Daryl and Michonne helped Carol walk as we made our way back to Alexandria.

When we got back the three of us took Carol to Siddiq. "Doc!" Daryl yelled. "What happened?" Siddiq asked. "She cut her arm pretty deep," I told him. They laid her down on the bed and Siddiq came over. "I'm going to need you all to leave," he said. Daryl, Michonne, and I all left and waited outside. I had leaned my back agaisnt one of the pillars. Daryl stood in front of me and put his hand on my now exposed stomach. The back kicked and he left a small smile on his face.

The door opened and Siddiq came out. "Is she all right?" Michonne asked. "She, um... I...." he stuttered. "He got it out. She's all patched up and out like a light," Dante said. "Great," Daryl said, grabbing my hand and walking towards the door. We all walked inside and stood beside Carol's bed. After a few minutes I looked at Daryl. "I'm going home and taking a shower then going to bed. I'm also going to check on Lydia," I told him. "I'll walk you," he said. "Daryl if you want to stay with Carol then stay until she wakes up. I'll be fine," I told him. I gave him a quick kiss before heading out the door and walking to our house.

I walked in and found Lydia in the living room sitting on the couch. "Hey," I said softly. She looked over and smiled. She stood up and came over to give me a hug. "You're home," she said. "I'm home. Daryl is too everyone made it," I said. I pulled away to look at her. "My mom?" She asked. "She knows we crossed in the winter and a couple other times. She wanted land. There was a miscommunication but we got out without anyone dying. Carol cut her arm pretty bad but she'll be okay," I told her. I went downstairs to mine and Daryl's little apartment and took a shower and changed into comfortable clothes. I made sure Lydia went to bed before heading to bed myself.

The next morning I woke up alone. I got up and got dressed then headed up stairs. I saw Michonne in the kitchen and walked over to her. "Have you seen Daryl?" I asked. "He's outside," she said. I nodded a thanks and headed outside to see him sitting at the small little table with one leg propped  up on it. He turned his head and smiled at me. "Morning," he said softly. "Hey, you never came to bed," I said. I walked closer and leaned down to give him a kiss. "M'Sorry," he mumbled. I shook my head and walked around to sit on his lap. He wrapped his arms around my waist and put his face in the crook of my neck. A few minutes later Carol walked outside. Daryl looked at her. "Pink suits you," he said. He chuckled a little and played with the bandage on her arm. "She doesn't believe me," she said. Daryl took a hit from the cigarette he had been smoking when I came out. He blow the smoke away from me not saying anything. "Do you?" She asked. He nodded his head, "yeah," he told her.