Chapter 89

Chapter 89

  You and Daryl met up with Rick at the car, you get in the back, Daryl in front of you in the passenger seat and Rick drove. You pulled up to the gate Eugen opening it for you then came around to Daryls window. "I mapped out some of the agricultural supply places in the area," Eugen said handing Daryl a map. "Even if they've been cleaned out, my bet is that the sorghum would be untouched. Now, that there is a criminally underrated grain that could change the game with our food situation from scary to hunky-dunky." He said and Daryl slowly turned his head to look at him. "I'm talking standability, drought tolerance, a grain-to-stover ratio that is the envy of all corns. Think about it." Eugene told you. You all just stared at him.  "Thanks," Daryl said. "Alright. Okay" Eugene said. And you drove out of Alexandria.

   "Today's the day. "Rick said. "Uh-Huh," Daryl told him. "We're going to find food, maybe some people. The law of averages has gotta catch up." Rick told you. "I don't know. We ain't seen anybody for weeks. Maybe we ain't gonna find nobody. Maybe that's a good thing." Daryl said looking out the window his right arm leaning on the door his hand rubbing his chin. You moved over to the middle and leaned on the seats to be closer to the guys. "We'll find something. Our lucks gotta turn at some point" you said. Daryl looked at you and a smile grew on his face. He couldn't get over how beautiful you were and still wondered how he was lucky enough to be the one to call you his. Rick looked over at you and noticed how Daryl looked at you with pure love. He was happy that his best friend, his brother had someone like you in his life. He smiled when Daryl leaned over and kissed your cheek making your face light up.

  "Don't. Don't. Please don't." Daryl said as Rick pulled out a CD. Rick just smiled and pushed it into the CD player extremely old country playing. Rick snapped his fingers looking out at the road as you drive. You laughed at Daryls annoyed face at his best friend's music taste. You didn't like it either it was boring. The one thing you and Daryl had in common was you both listened to Rock. AC/DC, Def Leppard, Guns-N-Roses, Led Zepplin, Metallica, R.E.M. Daryl was, of course, older than you so he grew up when those bands were popular but you had grown to love Rock turning it up to drown your parents out when they were home.

  "Draws 'em away from home!" Rick yells over the music. Daryl leaned his back up against the door looking at rick with an annoyed look and you just laughed. " what's so funny" Daryl growled. "Nothing you just look cute when you're all annoyed," you said making his face turn red and he sat straight again. You and Rick laughed and you leaned over more, putting your arms around his shoulders and kissed his cheek, then his neck, then nibbled a little on his ear lobe whispering in his ear "it's also very sexy" you said and Daryl face turned even redder. You giggled and kissed his cheek again and sat back in your seat.

You drove down the road, flying through the stop sign when Rick came to a stop and backed up turning onto another road and drove towards a barn with a small silo and a small garage. Rick walked around the side a little to look and see what he could, you and Daryl stopping in front of a big door that said "SORGHUM" on it. Daryl dug in his backpack and pulled a crowbar out, and you pulled your machete just in case. "Hey, hold up. It's best to be safe." Daryl said going over to the door and prying it open. "cover it?" Daryl asked. "Yeah." You and Rick said. Daryl lifted the door open nothing came out after you. "Yeah, we're good. One more time?" Rick said. There was a box truck in the garage and Daryl stood in front of the back door "It ain't locked." Daryl said pulling the latch up and pushing the door up. Nothing came out at you but to your surprise, it was full of stuff. "Holy shit," you said. "Well, how about that? The law of averages." Rick said. "Yep," Daryl said climbing up in. "Let's get this thing going, grab our gear, come back for the car later. Take another way back. See what we can see." Rick said standing up in the back. Rick jumped down and Daryl jumped up grabbing the strap to pull the door down "Think it'll start?" He said as he pulled the door closed and locked it. "Yeah, I do," Rick said. You chuckle "Sorghum." You say. You walk around to the passenger side with Daryl. He opens the door putting his hands on your hips and helps you up into the truck, once you're in he gets in beside you and Rick got in the driver's side. It was a little tight so you throw your legs over Daryls and leaned into his side and he instantly wrapped his arm around your shoulder and his other rested on your legs rubbing absentmindedly up and down your thigh.

  You drive down the road a few miles when you came to an old gas station. You got out of the truck Daryl walking over to the doors only for them to be locked. He then walked over to an old vending machine that was laying face down on the ground. "Yo, give me a hand with this." He said and you and Rick walked over to him. "Ahem," Rick said. "Let's flip it over." He said. He handed you the crowbar he was using as a weapon since he didn't have his crossbow.  He and Rick went to go try and push it over but it was to heavy.  "I don't think we got it," Rick said. Daryl walked around to the other side and then looked at the truck. "I got an idea." He says. Daryl finds a chain and hooks one end to the vending machine and the other to the truck. Rick gets in the truck and starts moving forward until it flipped over. Daryl guides him and he whistles when its flipped over. You knew why he wanted to flip it and check inside. You walked over to him and kissed his cheek "You are the sweetest man I know" you told him and of course, his face turned red. He walked over to the vending machine and Rick got out walking to stand beside him.

   "It's soda and candy. Why the trouble?" Rick asked. "It wasn't any trouble," Daryl said looking at you and you smiled at him. Next thing you know a man was running into the back of Rick and then running into you knocking you to the ground. "Son of a bitch" you growled. Rick drew his gun while Daryl helped you up checking you real quick then the two of you drew your guns pointing them at the man who had run you over. He had long hair and a bandana over his face, with his hands up. "Hi." He said. "Back up! Now!" Daryl yelled. "Keep 'em up!" Rick growled at him. "Whoa, easy, guys. I was just running from the dead." The guy told you. "How many?" Daryl asked him. "10, maybe more. I'm not risking it. Once it gets to double digits, I start running." He said.  "Where?" He asked the guy. "About a half a mile back. They're headed this way. You probably have about 11 minutes." He told him. The guy looked at you and Daryl moved in front of you. "Okay, thanks for letting us know," Rick said putting him a gun down. "Yeah. There's more of them than us, right? Gotta stick together." The guy said. Daryl still stood in front of you holding his gun towards the man. "Right?" The guy asked Daryl. Daryl thought for a second then put his gun down.

  You went to go move around Daryl but he pushed You behind him again. "You have a camp?" The guy asked. "No," Daryl said glaring at him. "Do you?" Rick asked. "No," the guy said. Sorry for running into you and sorry for knocking you down. I'm gonna go now. If this is the next world, I hope it's good to you guys." The guy said and started walking away. "I'm Rick. This is Daryl and Y/N. What's your name?" Rick asked. The guy stopped and turned around. You stepped out from behind Daryl to stand beside him. "Paul Rovia. But my friends used to call me Jesus. Your pick." He said. You raised your eyebrow and looked at the man like he was crazy. "You said you didn't have a camp. You on your own?" Rick asked him. "Yeah. But, still, best not to try anything." Paul or Jesus said. "Best not to make threats you can't keep, either," Daryl growled at him. "Exactly," Jesus said. "How many walkers--" Rick started. "No, not this guy." Daryl interrupted him. "How many walkers have you killed?" Rick asked. "Sorry, gotta run. You should, too. Think you've got about seven minutes." Jesus said and ran around the building.

    "Well that was weird," you said. "What the hell was that?" Daryl asked. "He was clean. His beard, it was trimmed. There's more going on there." Rick said rubbing his chin. "He didn't have a gun, either." You said. "We could track him, watch him for a while, get to know more. See if he's really alone. Maybe bring him back." Rick said. "Nah, the guy calls himself Jesus," Daryl said. You jumped a little when you heard gunshots and then some kind of popping that sounded like explosions. You ran around the building only to find nothing and a barrel.  "Firecrackers," Rick said. "Hell." Daryl said. "shit." Rick said at the same time. "He swiped your keys, didn't he?" Daryl said looking at him. "Oh, shit!" Rick said. You ran around front again to see Jesus the asshole in your truck driving off. "Sorry!" He yelled and took off down the road the vending machine following him. The three of you ran out into the road and watched him drive off with your truck. "shit." Rick said.