Chapter 38

You were in the cell block standing up on the platform you were standing between Daryl and Beth,  Beth and Carol were over by the steps with Judith who was in an old mail bin, Hershel was sitting at the bottom of the stairs, Rick standing a couple feet away from him, Glenn and Michonne were standing on the side of the stairs and Maggie was a few feet away from Rick. Everyone was talking about what to do. "We're not leaving," Rick said, strapping a rifle to his back. "We can't stay here," Hershel told him. "What if there's another sniper? A wood pallet won't stop one of those rounds." Maggie said. "We can't even go outside." Beth said you All looked at her. "Not in the daylight." Carol told her. "Rick says we're not running, we're not running." Glenn said, putting his hands on his hips.

  "No, better to live like rats." Merle piped in from outside the cell block. He wasn't allowed in where the cells were so You locked him in the common area. "You got a better idea?" Rick asked him. "Yeah, we should have slid out of here last night and lived to fight another day. But we lost that window, didn't we? I'm sure he's got scouts on every road out of this place by now." Merle said. "We ain't scared of that prick." Daryl said walking down the platform. "Y'all should be. That truck through the fence thing, that's just him ringing the doorbell. We might have some thick walls to hide behind, but he's got the guns and the numbers. And if he takes the high ground around this place, shoot, he could just starve us out if he wanted to." Merle told You. Maggie was wrapping a bandana around her hand "Let's put him in the other cell block," She said. "No. He's got a point." Daryl said walking down the platform. Maggie turned to look at Merle raising her voice "This is all you. You started this," She said. "What difference whose fault it is?" Beth said heading for the stairs. You stood the leaning on the rail "What do we do?" You asked. "I said we should leave. Now Axel's dead. We can't just sit here." Hershel said.

  Rick starts to walk away Hershel standing up yelling at him. "Get back here! You're slipping, Rick. We've all seen it. We understand why. But now is not the time. You once said this isn't a democracy. Now you have to own up to that. I put my family's life in your hands. So get your head clear and do something." He said. Rick walked outside and Carl followed him.

  "Daryl?" You said walking over to him. "Can we talk? Please." You asked. Daryl looked at you nodding his head. You walked into your cell and he sat down on the bed so you climbed over him crossing your legs and sitting against the wall. "I-I get why you left I do. But that doesn't mean it hurts any less just because I understand. You still left me, you left the group. We care about you Daryl," you said. Daryl looked down at his hands. "I wanted ya ta come with me.... but I knew ya wouldn't come," he told you. "Promise you won't leave again," you said, looking at him with wide eyes. He looked at you nodding "I promise I won't leave ya ever again," he said.

  You walked down and Rick came back in saying. "Field's filled with walkers. I didn't see any snipers out there, but we'll keep Maggie on watch." "I'll get up in the guard tower, take out half them walkers, give these guys a chance to fix the fence." Daryl told Rick. "Or use some of the cars to put the bus in place." Michonne said. "We can't access the field without burning through our bullets." Hershel said. "So we're trapped in here. There's barely any food or ammo." Glenn said. "Been here before. We'll be alright." Daryl said. "That's when it was just us. Before there was a snake in the nest." Glenn said. Daryl looked at him walking closer to Glenn. "Man, are we going to go through this again? Look, Merle's staying here. He's with us now. Get used to it." Daryl said. "Hey" Rick said. You touched Daryl's  arm. "All y'all." He said walking off. You walked after him calling for him. "Daryl! Wait up." You followed him up the stairs to your cell.

  You were sitting with Daryl when Carl came in telling Rick Andrea was here. You walk outside as she was walking up the path to the gate with a walker on a lead pole. "Are you alone?!" Rick asked. "Open the gate!" She yelled. "Are you alone?!" Rick yelled again. "Rick!" She yelled. Rick threw Daryl the keys and Daryl unlocked the gate as Andrea let go of the walker she had running in through the gate. Merle closed it. Rick grabbed Andrea right away yelling for her to turn around pushing her up against the fence. Daryl trained his crossbow on her as Rick patted her down. "Get down on the floor," Rick told her, pushing her to her knees. Everyone had their weapons up keeping cover in case she brought her new friends. "I asked if you were alone!" Rick said, taking her bag. "I am," she said.   Rick went over, grabbed her stuff and went back to Andrea grabbing her by the arm to pull her up saying "welcome back."

  You all walked back into the cell Rick led Andrea. You sat down at one of the tables Daryl climbed behind, sitting on the top with you between his legs. Carol hugged Andrea. "After you saved me I thought you were dead," Carol told her. "Hershel, my God. I can't believe this." Andre said, looking around. "Where's Shane?" No one answered "And Lori?" "She had a girl. Lori didn't survive." Hershel said. "Neither did T-Dog." Carol told her. "I'm so sorry. Carl. Rick, I.." "You all live here?" She asked "Here in this cell block." You told her.

"There? Well, can I go in?" She said pointing to the cells. "I won't allow that." Rick told her. "I'm not an enemy, Rick." She told him. "We had that field and courtyard until your boyfriend tore down the fence with a truck and shot us up." Rick told her. "He said you fired first." She said  "Well, he's lying." You said. "He killed an inmate who survived in here." Hershel said. "We liked him. He was one of us." Daryl told her. "I didn't know anything about that. As soon as I found out, I came. I didn't even know you were in Woodbury until after the shoot-out." She told you. "That was days ago." Glenn said. "I told you, I came as soon as I could. What have you told them?" She said looking at Michonne. "Nothing." Michonne said. "I don't get it. I left Atlanta with you people and now I'm the odd man out?" Andrea said, getting angry. "He almost killed Michonne and he would have killed us." Glenn said. "With his finger on the trigger. Isn't he the one who kidnapped you? Who beat you?" Andrea said, pointing at Merle. "Look, I cannot excuse or explain what Philip has done. But I am here trying to bring us together. We have to work this out." She said. Who the fuck is Philip you thought. "There's nothing to work out. We're gonna kill him. I don't know how or when, but we will." Rick told her.

"We can settle this. There is room at Woodbury for all of you." Andrea said. "You know better than that." Merle told her. "What makes you think this man wants to negotiate? Did he say that?" You asked her. "No," She said. "Then why did you come here?" Rick asked her. "Because he's gearing up for war. The people are terrified. They see you as killers. They're training to attack," She said. "I'll tell you what. Next time you see Philip, you tell him I'm gonna take his other eye." Daryl said. You just giggled looking up at him, he gave you a small smirk. "We're taken too much shit for too long. He wants a war? He's got one." Glenn said. "Rick. If you don't sit down and try to work this out, I don't know what's gonna happen. He has a whole town." Andrea said. "Look at you. You've lost so much already. You can't stand alone anymore." "You want to make this right, get us inside." Rick said. "No." "Then we got nothing to talk about." "There are innocent people." Andrea said as Rick walked into the cell block.