Chapter 62

"Some days, I don't know what to think," Daryl said. As    you kept walking, making sure to avoid the walkers that were in the tents. You came to another that was boarded up and chained. Carol went and opened it as far as she could and slid through, following you after her. Daryl handed you his crossbow and squeezed through the door. "Good thing we skipped breakfast" he muttered. He stood up and you gave him his bow back . You walked down a hall and opened a door to a good size office. Daryl walked around the desk picking up a picture and Carol walked over to the window. "How did we get here?" She asked. You walked over standing beside here and Daryl came up behind you leaning against the wall. "Mmm-mmm. Just did" Daryl told her.

  You looked out the window that overlooked the city. Windows were blown out on some buildings, the sides of the buildings, cars, and streets were blackened from when they dropped the bombs. You thought back to when you got out just as the jets flew over and dropped the bombs. You could still remember it shaking the car and the blast blowing out your back window as you tried ducking as best you could while flooring the pedal to get the hell out of there. Daryl noticed you staring off he remembered you saying about just getting out of the city when they bombed the city. He put his hand on your shoulder pulling you outta your thoughts. "Ya alright?" He asked you and you looked over your shoulder at him nodding.

  "You still haven't asked me what happened. After I met up with Tyreese, the girls" Carol said. "Yeah, I know what happened. They ain't here." Daryl told her.  "It was worse than that." Carol said. And you and Daryl looked at her. "The reason I said we get to start over... is because we gotta. The way it was..." Daryl told her. "Yeah." Carol said. Daryl grabbed you gently moving You to the side and cupped his hand over the window. "You see something?" You asked. "I don't know. Hand me that rifle." Daryl said. Carol handed him her rifle and stepped back looking through the scope. He put the rifle down and put his finger to the window pointing across the street. "Right there." He said. Carol took the rifle and looked through the scope you went over to the other window looking out seeing a white van with a white cross on the back. It was hanging half off the bridge. "It's been there a while." You said. "Definitely one of 'em." Carol told him. "It's definitely some kind of lead." Daryl said. Daryl looked at you and Carol started heading over to the water cooler. "We should fill up." She said. "All right" Daryl said. You walked over to Daryl and you both stopped looking at the painting on the wall.

  You cocked your head as you both looked at the painting. "Hmm." You both said. "What?" Carol asked. "I bet this cost some rich prick a lot of money." You said. "Looks like a dog sat in paint, wiped its ass all over the place." Daryl said. You looked at him and busted up laughing. "Oh my god! That was the best description ever!" You said laughing. Daryl just smirked at you. God how he loves your laugh. "And you say I'm strange. I think we have more in common than we thought" you told him. He just shook his head. Carol came over smiling at the two of you. "Really? I kinda like it." She said laughing at Daryl and yours face. "Stop." He said. "I'm serious. You don't know me." She said. "Yep, you keep telling yourself that." You and Daryl said in unison. And you walked back out the door and down the hall to where the walker burritos were.

  Carol went first then you, you both stood up but stopped seeing a kid no older than 18 years old standing in front of you with Carol's rifle pointing at you. "Daryl, don't." You tried to warn him but he was crawling through. "Get up. Hands up, both of you. Lay down your crossbow and you lay down your machete" He said. Daryl and you looked at him "You got some sack on you." Daryl growled.  "Look, nobody has to get hurt. I just need weapons, that's it. So, please, lay down your crossbow and you machete." You all laid down your weapons. "Back up." The kid said. You backed up staring at him. He came over and gathered everything up. "Sorry about this. He said. You heard snarling from the walkers in the tents and the kid looked at you "You look tough. You'll be alright." He said cutting the tents open and took off.

  The walkers walked towards Daryl stabbing one and Carol taking he handgun out shooting at another. She then pointed it at the kid put Daryl stopped her. She looked at and the three of you took off running after him. You heard the door to the car garage shut. When you got there you couldn't open it. So you went and found a different door into a large room with nothing in it. Daryl was pissed and walking at a fast pace. "Three bullets. We're in the middle of a city. He was stealing our weapons. Did you think I was gonna kill him? I was aiming for his leg." Carol said. "Could that have killed him? Maybe, I don't know," She said. "Yes it could have if you would have it as an artery" you told her.  "But he was stealing our weapons," She said. "He's a damn kid." Daryl growled. You came to a door, Daryl tried opening it but it was locked. He pulled his knife out and went to work to try and open the door.

  " Without weapons we could die. Beth could die. Carol said. "We'll find more weapons." You told her. "I don't want you to die. I don't want Beth to die. I don't want anybody at the church to die, but I can't stand around and watch it happen either. I can't. That's why I left. I just had to be somewhere else." She said. Daryl threw his bag on the floor kneeling down and kept working on the door "Well, you ain't somewhere else; you're right here. Trying," He said, stopping and standing up looking at her then went back to the door. "Look, you're not who you were and neither am I. Carol sighs. Daryl finally got the door open putting his knife back on his belt. "I don't know if I believe in God anymore or heaven, but if I'm going to hell, I'm making damn sure I'm holding it off as long as I can." She said. You bent down and picked up Daryl's bag but when you did a book fell out. You looked down seeing it was the treating survivors of Childhood abuse book that was on the desk at the temporary housing.

  Daryl bent down and picked it up and put it back in his bag. You never asked Daryl about his past so you didn't know anything. It clicked finally that he was abused as a child and that's why he was always so timid around people. "Daryl" you whispered. But he ignored you, taking his bag and walking through the door. "Come on" Carol said and you followed after Daryl.