Chapter 61

Daryl followed the car with the white cross on the back down the road. "So it was just you and Beth after?" Carol asked him. "Yeah." Daryl replied. "You saved her?" She asked. "She's tough. She saved herself. We were out there for a while. We got cornered, she got out in front of me and... I don't know, she was gone. I came out and a car's pulling out with a white cross on the window." Daryl told her. "Just like that one?" You said. "Yep."  You could see up ahead that there was a walker laying on the ground that the car in front of you knocked down when it went past, Daryl kept driving just running over it's head.

  "Rick's gonna wonder where we went. Tank's runnin' low." Daryl said. "We can end this quickly. Just run him off the road." Carol said. "Nah, we're good for a bit." Daryl told her. "If they're holding her somewhere, we can get it out of the driver," She said. "Yeah, but if he doesn't talk, we're back to square one. Right now we have the advantage. We'll see who they are. If they're a group, see what they can do. And then we'll do what we gotta do to get her back." Daryl said, looking at you in the rearview mirror. Daryl knew he should have made you stay back with Rick but he was also glad you were there with him where he could keep an eye on you. He didn't need to worry if you were okay or not.

  "They're heading north, I-85." Carol said. Daryl followed them up to the highway that led to the city. Everything was different, it was more overgrown, trash blew across the road. It didn't look like it did when you drove out of the city  a year ago after the CDC   blew up. You kept following the car, your headlights turned off so they couldn't see you, Daryl made sure to stay close but not to close. You followed as they avoided obstacles in the road. Then they came to a stop so Daryl stopped far enough away that you could see them but they couldn't see you. "What the hell's he waiting for?" Daryl asked. You saw them turn their car off so Daryl did the same. Then the passenger door opened and one of the people stepped out. "There's two of 'em." You said. "Is that a cop?" Daryl asks. Carol pulls her gun out and Daryl looks over to her "They might've seen us," She said.

  You watched as the man walked around the corner. You were sitting there waiting to see what would happen when all of a sudden a hand slapped the window making you all jump. "Jesus Christ," you said, your heart racing. It was just a walker but it kept slapping at the car. The cop came back around the corner and noticed the walker banging at the car. You started getting nervous. "what if he comes over here?" You whisper. But he got back in the car and they drove off. Daryl went to start the car but he would turn over. "Aw, shit! Tank's tapped. They'd have taken the bypass and they didn't. They must be holed up in the city somewhere. We gotta move, find someplace to hole up till sunlight." Daryl said looking around then turned and looked at you. "I know a place just a couple of blocks from here. We can make it." Carol said. Carol rolled down her window and took her knife stabbing the walker in the head. Daryl and Carol got out of the car closing the doors quietly then Daryl came to the back opening door helping you out. "Stay close to me" he said and you nodded, pulling your machete out.

   You walked a couple blocks killing any walker that came to close until you came to a building. You went around back to a door that had a lock on it so Daryl took his knife and started chiseling at the wood around it. You and Carol kept an eye out "Two more." Carol said as two walkers were limping towards you. "I almost got it." Daryl said. He finally got the lock off and opened the door. You could hear the walkers snarl getting closer. "Come on." Daryl said and you and Carol turned around running into the building Daryl behind you closing the door.

  You walked up a few flights of steps coming out of the door and walked down a hall  seeing a walker laying on the floor he looked to have been a janitor. You walked over and  Daryl bent down taking the keys off its belt. You came to a glass door that said service center on it. Carol opened the door and walked in, you behind her and Daryl behind you. You were in what looked to be a small office or something. It had a desk and chair, filing cabinets, another chair and a table beside it. "You used to work here or something?" Daryl asked. "Something." Carol said. You looked around the small area Daryl going to another door and picking a bag up that was sitting on the floor. Carol moved the desk chair then you slid the desk in front of the door. Carol then walked over another door but it was locked so Daryl handed her the keys and she unlocked it. You walked through and down a few halls following Carol.

   She walked into a room putting keys down on a desk beside the door. "What's this place?" Daryl asked. "It's temporary housing." She said. You looked down on the desk seeing a book that said Treating Survivors of Childhood Abuse. Daryl saw it too, pointing his flashlight at it. "You came here?" He asked. "We didn't stay." Carol told him. Daryl looks his crossbow off, sitting it up against the wall on the desk and taking the bag off and sitting it down. Carol took the stuff off as well as you. "I'll take the top bunk. I think that one's more your style." Carol said. You sat down on the bottom bunk, Daryl taking his jacket and vest off.  "You should sleep. I'll take first watch." Carol told the both of you. "This is locked up pretty tight." Carol said. "I know." Carol said, walking over to the window.

   "Then we're good, then." Daryl said. "I'll keep first watch. I don't mind." Carol said.  "Suit yourself." Daryl said walking over to you.  Scoot over your against the wall" he told you. You looked at him rolling your eyes but climbed over and layed down Daryl sat down on the edge of the bed turning and telling you to get some sleep. "said we get to start over." Carol said turning and looking at him. "Yeah." He said. "Did you?" She asked. "I'm tryin'" Daryl said. You sat up and sat behind Daryl wrapping your arms around his s waist, kissing his shoulder and laying your head on his back. He put his hand over yours grabbing the one and rubbing soft circles on your hand with his thumb.Why don't you say what's really on your mind?" He said. "I don't think we get to save people anymore." She told him.  "Then why are you here?" Daryl asked.  "I'm tryin'." She said Walking over sitting down beside him and laid back. Daryl looked at her still rubbing soft circles on your hand. "When we were out by the car... what if we didn't show up?" Daryl asked. "I still don't know." Carol said. You moved over letting Daryl lay back beside Carol you curling up beside him and he put his arm around you.

You heard a loud distant banging coming from somewhere. The three of you jumped up grabbing your weapons and you walked out of the door and down the hall you came around the corner and Daryl pointed his flashlight at a frosted glass door. You saw a walker, hearing it's snarling, it was banging against the door. Then you see a smaller shadow of a child. You gasped, putting your hand over your mouth. Carol walked over going to the door but Daryl  stopped her. "You don't have to." He said but she just looked at  him and went for the door again. You walked over putting your hand on her shoulder. "You don't." You told her and she looked and the both of you walked back to the room. You and Daryl follow her. Daryl looked back and you grabbed his hand "Hey, come on" you said and he followed you. You laid down on the bottom bunk and curled against Daryl, he wrapped his arms around you and you drifted off to sleep.

  You woke up to the sun shining and birds chirping. You got up walking over to the window and you saw smoke so you went back to the room the mother and child walkers were in. You walked around finding a door that led outside, you opened it and  you stepped out seeing Daryl burning the bodies. "Hey." You said. Daryl turned to see you and walked over to you pulling you to his chest then leaned down giving you a soft kiss. Carol came out the door and walked up to you.  "Thank you." She said. And you stood there for a while before going back inside. You walked back in the room and packed up. "That car was headed downtown. I say we get up in one of the tall ones, get ourselves a view, see what we see." Daryl said. "We can stay close to the buildings and keep quiet, but sooner or later, we're gonna be drawing 'em." Carol said.

  You walked out of the building and ran against the wall. To come to the end, Daryl looked at the corner "All right, we can get up there. There's a bridge." He said. He put the bag on the ground reaching in and grabbing a notepad, he pulled his lighter out and set the notepad on fire throwing it around the corner where there were walkers. Once the walkers were distracted by it you made a run for it. You came to the car garage that was below the building. Daryl killed the walker that was in your way and you ran through the garage. You came to a door that was boarded up, Daryl opened it and you walked into a hall. You walked down to two elevators and a breezeway. You stopped seeing that people had made a camp out of it. There were walkers in sleeping bags. "Oh My God! It's like walker burritos!" You said. Daryl stopped and turned looking at you "what?! It is!" You said and he and Carol chuckled. Then you went to work killing the walkers. "Now it's dead walker burritos," you said. Daryl just shook his head. Yup he definitely was in love with this girl and wants to spend the rest of his life with you he thought. 
"You're a strange girl," he said. "Eh y'all live me though" you joked. Daryl froze at that, Carol chuckling at him and nudged him.