Chapter 69

You walked back to the group to see them fighting their herd of walkers that was following you earlier. Daryl went over pulling a walker away from Rick that had grabbed his arm And was about to take a bite out of it. You took your machete and sliced through a walker that started stumbling towards you. Once all the walkers were taken care of you all continued walking down the road.

  "Dad. Look" Carl said. You looked up ahead to see three cars. "I'm gonna head into the woods, circle back." Daryl said. "May I come with you?" Carol asked him. "No. No, just me" he said. He went to walk away but you grabbed his arm before he got too far. "Daryl, wait let me come with you," you said. "No. Stay here. Watch her for me" he said looking at Carol. He kissed your forehead and walked into the woods. "He'll be okay," Carol said, walking up to you.

  You joined the group and walked to the cars and started going through them but found nothing. They didn't have gas in them either. You all sat down together alongside the road when you heard a twig snap you looked up and saw Daryl coming out of the woods. He came over to you sitting down beside you and wrapped his arm around your shoulder and you leaned your head against him. "So all we found was booze?" You heard Tara ask seeing Abraham opening a bottle of liquor. "Yeah" Rosita said. "It's not gonna help," Tara said. "He knows that" Rosita told her. "It's going to make it worse" Tara continued. "Yes it is" Rosita said nodding her head. "He's a grown man. And I truly do not know if things can get worse." Eugen said "They can." Rosita told him.

  You heard rustling in the woods across from you and you all looked towards the woods. Four dogs came out standing there growling and barking at you showing there teeth. Before anyone could do anything Sasha put them down. Rick and Daryl went over and grabbed them, skinned and cleaned them like any other animal. You built a fire and you had a dog that night for the first and hopefully the last time. No one really cared what they were eating, they were just happy to be eating something.

  The next day you kept walking. "Daryl," Glenn said, holding out the only bottle of water you had. "No, I'm all right." Daryl rild him. "Daryl." You said taking it from Glenn and trying to get Daryl to take it.  "Don't." He said.  "Hey, we can make it together. But we can only make it together." Glenn told him. "Tell them I went looking for water."  Daryl said and walked off into the woods. "Daryl!" You said. But he didn't turn around. You went to go after him but Glenn stopped you. "He needs to be alone," he said. You took a deep breath and kept walking.

  You stopped not being about to stop worrying about Daryl so you told Abraham you were going after him and ran into The woods in the direction Daryl went. You walked a good while until you seen Daryl sitting up against a tree. You stopped when you noticed he was crying. You started tearing and walked over to him kneeling down in front of him moving his arms so you could get close to him. You wrapped your arms around his shoulders and he grabbed a hold of you holding onto you tight, burying his face in your shoulder. You both sat there holding each other. Once you both calmed down And whipped away your tears you stood up and headed back to the group.

  Everyone was standing around a case of water. They turned and looked at you as you both came out of the woods. Rick came over handing Daryl a piece of paper that read "From A Friend" Daryl looked at then looked up and looked around. He took his crossbow off and you walked over to the rest of the group. "What else are we gonna do?" Tara asked. "Not this. We don't know who left it." Rick told her. "If that's a trap, we already happen to be in it. But I, for one, would like to think it is indeed from a friend." Eugene said. "What if it isn't? They put something in it?" Carol told him. Eugene bent down taking one of the bottles from the pack "Eugene." Rosita said. He opened the bottle. "What are you doing, dude?" Tara asked him. "Quality assurance." He said going to take a drink but Abraham knocked it out of his hand and on to the ground. "We can't."  Rick said.

  You heard a rumbling and looked up to see the sky turning black. Next thing you know , it started raining. Rosita and Tara laid down on the road. "I'm sorry, my Lord." You heard Gabriel say. "Everybody get the bags. Anything you can find." Rick said. "I'm sorry." Gabriel said, looking up.  "Come on." Rick said And put out the bottles you had so they could fill up. You looked at Daryl and he looked at you then back down at the ground. Judith started to cry so Carl took his hat off to try and cover her up. You looked up at the sky. The clouds that were moving towards you were pitch black. The thunder got louder and the rain got heavier. "Let's keep moving." Rick yelled over the noise. "There's a barn." Daryl yelled. "Where?" Rick said. You and Daryl lead him to the darn you had seen.

  One you got there you all went in and checked it out only killing one walker. You had made a fire and sat around it to try and get warm and dry. You were so cold you were shivering. Daryl got in his bag and dug out his jacket and tossed it over you he sat behind you and pulled you against his chest rubbing your arms up and down to try and warm you up more. Rick looked down at Carl who had Judith laying on the floor cuddled up to him. "He's gonna be okay. He bounces back more than any of us do." Carol told him. "I used to feel sorry for kids that have to grow up now. In this. But I think I got it wrong. Growing up is getting used to the world. This is easier for them." Rick said. "This isn't the world. This isn't it." Michonne told him. "It might be. It might." Glenn said. "That's giving up." Michonne said. "It's reality." Glenn told her. "Until we see otherwise, this is what we have to live with." Rick said.

  After a few minutes of silence Rick spoke again  "When I was a kid... I asked my grandpa once if he ever killed any Germans in the war. He wouldn't answer. He said that was grown-up stuff, so... so I asked if the Germans ever tried to kill him. But he got real quiet. He said he was dead the minute he stepped into enemy territory. Every day he woke up and told himself, "Rest in peace. Now get up and go to war." And then after a few years of pretending he was dead... he made it out alive. That's the trick of it, I think. We do what we need to do and then we get to live. But no matter what we find in DC, I know we'll be okay. Because this is how we survive. We tell ourselves... that we are the walking dead." Rick tells you. You all just look at him like he is crazy after he said that. "We ain't them."  Daryl said shaking his head then he got up, you standing up with him. "We're not them. Hey. We're not. We ain't them."  Rick tells him. Daryl looks at him and grabs your hand and you both walk off to find a place to lay down for the night.